What’s your opinion of designer Michael Smith’s redesign of the Oval Office? Gone are the traditional golds of George W. Bush’s office, replaced with warm beiges and browns.

Everyone from political pundits to high-end interior designers has been dishing out their two cents on the Commander-in-Chief’s new digs and the consensus seems to be, “I don’t hate it.”

design-happens_oval-office544x344

Arriana Huffingtion, Editor in Chief of The Huffington Post says, “…the decision to festoon the new carpet with quotes from Lincoln, F.D.R., J.F.K., Teddy Roosevelt and Martin Luther King seems a tad Hallmark-y, and a little prepubescent — something Sasha’s fellow fourth graders might suggest (Malia’s seventh-grade friends would probably find it “lame”). What’s next, adding the doodle of a heart with “Barack + Michelle”?”

Decorator Miles Redd was less harsh, saying “It is certainly not a paragon of chic, but it hardly could be. What we Americans want is good solid comfort, and I think the room delivers.”

Read more opinions from Anne Coulter and Sheila Bridges in the New York Times piece, The Audacity of Taupe.

See how the Oval Office has changed through the years.

And have you ever wondered, “What if Ikea designed the President’s office?”

Design Inspiration

1. Laura says:

I like the quotes – a bit of inspiration while the Prez. is detained and you are waiting. The color scheme is very BEIGE & plain however in time of turmoil, perhaps BEIGE is what is needed.

2. Erica Islas says:

It's done really nicely. I love how Michael Smith brought in a few new furniture pieces that are contemporary without fighting with the existing . Overall I like it . I would have loved to see a few Navy blue accents.

3. Stephanie S says:

A bit boring since you are asking. I have always loved the big emblem rug in the middle. I am a fan of beiges but to much-needs color. Way do they always have to change the office? Are we not in debt already?

4. Audrey says:

I do think a pop of color as Bush did with the two chairs and some color sofa pillows would have been nice.

5. Marla says:

I like it very much. It seems very calming. It is cozy and warm but very tasteful. I don't care for gaudy and posh.

6. Emily says:

I'm a huge fan of Michael Smith. And a even bigger fan of Obama. Overall this room seems underwhelming, but i trust that there was A LOT of red-tape to even get that striped pillow in the room….so i'll give them both a break.

7. Shakita Gilb says: