One of our absolute favorite designers, Lori Dennis, wants to give you a sneak peak of her new book. Lori is an expert on executing green design that’s smart and chic. Green Interior Design is her easy-to-use, inspirational manual for creating a beautifully designed home that focuses on reducing waste and pollution, as well as protecting the health of those living in it.

This Allworth Press release is available in stores later this month, but I’ve got an advance copy with your name on it. Simply answer this week’s question before 12/11c Monday, Nov. 8. to win. And check out Lori Dennis on HGTV’s Designers’ Portfolio.

This week’s question: What ways have you gone green in your home?

PS If you’re coming here from Facebook.com/HGTV, you’ll need to answer the question in the comments below for it to count. Questions answered on the Facebook site aren’t entered into the contest.

Click for official rules.

1. I recycle plastic, newspaper and cans and have started to also at work but I have taken a 5×6 iron pipe rack that we get at work that were going to the scrap yard and have brought one home to turn in to a gazebo. While smaller than most it's just right for me. They would also make a great frame for a greenhouse but they they all disappeared before I could grab another one or two.

2. Charles says:

One of the most important aspects of going green is the conservation of energy and a lesser dependency of natural resources. I recently built a house and one of the things I done was install all energy efficient materials from the installation to the tankless water heater, to the windows. I have also stopped using paper towels for many chores and use towels to wipe or clean. By not using paper towel this helps the environment and by "wallet" in the long run.

3. Iris Slone says:

As a child over 60 years ago I was taught to conserve on and to protect (not pollute) nature's bounty and life-giving elements – water,air, food, etc. and to not waste anything, whether it be a natural element, or man-made from the many elements nature provides us. Therefore I have always conserved by washing only full loads, turning of lights and appliances when no in use, even conserve on plstic items (they arfe made from naaural elements). I was one of the first to take up recycling, and still recycle everything possible, starting with reusing items in original form when possible, then recycling. Now it's great we have low halogen and fluorescent lighting available for home use. I buy only Energy Star Appliances, recently installed triple-paned windows and sliding doors, and bamboo flooring.

4. [...] this link: Design Happens » Archive » Freebie Fridays: Lori Dennis' Green … ← christmas tree toothbrush – Best Green and Eco-Friendly Products [...]

5. akasmith says:

I have been drawn to the idea of green design and indoor air quality since we got married in 1998 and began talking about building our own house. Most of what we actually do, though, is use compact flourescent bulbs, recycle, buy energy efficient appliances when they need to be replaced, and don't over-consume. I think not buying too much "stuff" is the one thing we do with arguably the greatest impact. We have had the smallest trash bin our city offers for at least 8 years. We rarely fill it up, while many neighbors regularly run out of room in their big bins. In addition, we are careful to follow the recycling guidelines for our city, so what we do recycle is usable. We have had the same furniture for YEARS! In fact, our sofa is the one my husband grew up with…and we are baby boomers! If we would have had more money, I probably would have purchased newer, low emission furnishings. I guess it's a blessing for the environment that we haven't had that money. ;^)

6. MelodieBorgrud says:

I have replaced all my bulbs with energy saving bulbs. I put a 1.25 gallon recycled slimline water container with spout in my fridge so that you will have cold water and not run the kitchen water until it is cold. I buy recycled products as much as possible. I use my stores "logo" bags for things that I buy instead of the plastic bags. All lights are turned off during the day and when it gets dark, only the livingroom and the hood light above my stove is on. All lights are turned off at bedtime. I have 2 A/C units that are energy efficient. I hang some of my clothes to dry, use cold water washing my clothes and far less laundry detergent.

7. Weekly Recycling of everything from junk mail to cereal boxes & Composting all the greens and browns, energy star appliances and light bulbs <3 being Green!

8. Mary says:

I have replaced my regular lightbulbs with CFL , installed motion sensor outdoors lights, and wash most clothes in cold water.

9. gardenridge says:

We've gone green during a partial reno at our house: bamboo floors throughout main areas, and a cork floor in the kitchen. Sustainable materials are the way to go when you need a change.

10. Casey says:

I put motion sensor switches in the laundry room and in the bathroom where they turn off the lights after several minutes. I have replaced my incandescant bulbs with either CFL or LED and seen a whopping drop in my electric bill of 78%. Next on the list is that wastefull hot water heater for a tankless and a tax credit.

• The uneven and meandering stepping stones in this garden

• Make an All-White Room Feel Warm + Inviting

• The highlight of this bathroom are the two antique Moroccan

• The rattan furniture in this neutral dining room instantly