Gray is hot.  At home. In fashion. And now on the floor. The trend in gray woods is something that I’ve been spearheading from my own soapbox for a few years. I have memories (some slightly traumatic) of endlessly searching for the perfect gray wood floor, telling every vendor I could: “Gray, gray, make it gray!”

I have finally been vindicated. Quick•Step answered my prayers with their stunning Country Rustic Cottage Oak. Its wire-brushed finish with slight metallic hints was the perfect choice for my new home studio. And the fact that I can lay it down over the existing floor means no mess. Easy and affordable–with great style? Yes, please!

The just warm-enough gray furniture stain that is now “it” at retailers like Restoration Hardware was nearly impossible to perfect in years past, even at the best manufacturers in town. And fabrics that weren’t cold, blue and stark came in only a handful of lines.

Vicente Wolf, and icon of our time, has long championed the use of gray as evidenced by its extensive use in his designs, collections and his own apartment. I love how he finished these traditional frames with a soft slate fabric.

The layers of deep grays in this room by Wolf are brought to life with the addition of the fresh white hydrangeas and the warm wood tabletop.

And gems like this Barogue Demilune Table with a gray and black patina from Bobo Intriguing Objects gave me hope.

This blackened steel console is super fierce. And Bobo’s Zinc Charette Forms would make a great addition to any room.  Organic, almost industrial items like this are a great accessory, as they generally contrast the more refined finishes of furniture and add that much-needed texture and balance to a room or vignette.

Now that gray is golden, here are handful of my latest favorites:

Restoration Hardware 17th C. Monastery Dining Table

Restoration Hardware 1950′s Upholstered Copenhagen Chair in Fog

Jars “Vuelta” Gray Silex Medium Dinner Plate

Kravet dog upholstery fabric

Mod Green Pod,  Migrate

Design Inspiration

1. Kurt says:

Great post. I too, am a huge fan of gray and am absolutely thrilled it is taking the home decor industry by storm. See my recent post on decorating with gray on the Pure Home blog – http://blog.purehome.com/2010/gray-as-a-paint-col….

2. [...] weeks ago so as you can imagine I was thrilled to come across this great article on HGTV today, Shades of Gray. Erinn Valencich, interior designer and founder of Erinn V Style, brought to light some great gray [...]

3. pixelecho69 says:

Wow, Gray looks very Elegant when done the right way and of course and by someone who knows how to.

4. ANNEKATZ says:

rECENTLY PAINTED BEDROOM WALLS MED GREY, ACCENTS LIGHT GREY, BLACK FRAMES, PEWTER FRAMES,DARK CHARCOAL DRAPES, SPOTS OF YELLOW. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF I AM ON THE RIGHT TRACK?

5. lennie says:

I have a dark grey leather sofa grey recliner and a white chair want to know what color to accessorize with drapes and pillows and knick knacks

• Arial says:

For me, I would add items consistent with the colors scheme you have – greys and whites. Then I'd add subtle touches of other neutrals like browns/tan and black (pillows and drapes). Then for a pop of color, I love the way green looks – such as in fake or real plants, candles, art, etc.. But this is just my opinion. I'm a 27 year-old female grad student with a city suburban apartment (for reference). Good luck!

• robo2 says:

Great choice, especially if your walls are the perfect dove grey. Accented mine with turqoise drapes and a few turqoise accessories. Pillow on the couch is a natural cream with some dark grey and turqoise stitching. Chair cushion is that same warm beige with a striped pillow having turqoise. Red works, too. My furniture is a dark ebony. Mmm.

6. celia says:

any other color for bedroom walls than gray with gray bedding? thanks.

7. dean says:

painted a large living room in medium grey and white ceiling and light cream carpet, i have a black leather corner sofa and black glass tv stand. dont know what colour to acceserise i.e was thinking white gloss or black side board, black and white pictures with white picture frames ….curtain colours?, custions? iam a young lad who needs help lol. want it to look modern and trendy. oh and iam having led suspended pannel light at each end of the room on dimmers. cheers

• robo2 says:

Print curtains! White background with a large, simple geometric print (circles?), then go with whatever bright color you like for throw pillows (red, yellow, yellow-gold). Sounds great!

• Mary Beth says:

your favoritie shades of purple…classy combo. some contrast is good. Black and white prints of beautiful things You like to look at…family, friends, scenic etc… It's your choice that makes it timeless. Good luck!

8. Phyllis says:

have problem deciding on carpet color for light grey walls in family room. Grey with Grey looks boring. Charcoal, looks to dark, need to use carpet on cold floor. Any suggestions??

• robo2 says:

Had to go to Atlanta to find it, but the large dark charcoal gray rug with pale yarn tufted stripes works beautifully against white porcelain tile floors. My room has lots of windows and my accessories are bright, so it's not boring at all. Actually, you might be surprised at how a light cream warms the room up, too, if you accessorize it right.

9. Carolyn says:

I want to paint my master bedroom walls gray but do not want to paint the natural woodwork (cherry). Will this work together? I would like to use either black & white for the comforter or maybe a gray & white with black furniture. Any comments?

10. Elaine says:

i want to color my living room Medium grey and my fireplace pewter grey and i need a suggestion what color of sofa can i put and what rug and accessories .. please help me out .
    thanks Elaine