Every year since we were born, my parents have given my siblings and me a special Christmas ornament. Unwrapping each hand-picked treasure is one of my favorite holiday traditions. If I was to offer my parents a hint for this year’s ornament, it would be the Courtly Check Owl from the whimsical home decor artisans at MacKenzie-Childs.

The glass ornaments in the Woodland-Inspired Collection are handcrafted and hand-painted by artists in Eastern Europe. Answer this week’s question before 12/11c Monday, Dec. 13 to be entered into the giveaway.

This week’s question: What is your favorite Christmas ornament or holiday decoration given to you by a relative?

For more holiday decor inspiration, check out HGTV’s fa-la-la-la-fabulous ideas for tree trimmings, fireplace mantels, wreaths and centerpieces.

Click for official rules.

Freebies, Holidays

1. Amy says:

Last year my boyfriend and I moved into our new condo. We had to throw a Christmas Party last year and we told everyone if they could please bring an ornament for our tree. It turned out great! So now when we put them up this year, we tried to remember who bought which one. We love ornaments that symbolize moments, friends and family.

2. Sarah says:

My best friend of 6years gave me a homemade ornament when we were still in high school- it was our school colors. Although we don't get to see each other too often, It reminds me of all our good times together and that no matter where we are during the holidays, we'll always be friends.

3. Erin says:

I've had my favorite ornament for two years as of this Christmas – it is a key and says "New Home" on it. My husband, son, and myself lived in military housing for 13 years, and when transferred, finally bought our first house two years ago. It marks how far we've come as a family, and it's also a small luxury to us to live in our own home.

4. trisha kilpatrick says:

My favorite holiday decoration would be the handmade crochet green and red doilies that my grandmother made. I sure do miss her.

5. Kate says:

My favorite stuffed animal when I was little was an owl puppet (I think they call them lovies now?), which translated into a collection of owls. My grandmother was a frequent traveler and my souvenier from each of her trips was a small (or large!) owl figurine for my collection. Inevitably, this led to my dad selecting an owl ornament for me to hang our Christmas tree each year. Many of them were the traditional Hallmark owl ornaments, but they are all dated and a very special part of our tree now that I have almost 30 of them hanging from the branches!

6. Debra Brown says:

My favorite ornament is one my son made with the help of his 1st. grade teacher. It is a 3"styroform ball and it has a small picture of red pointseeters and rolled in clear glitter, with a small red ribbon tied at the top. my son is now 26 years old and every year he looks for that same ball on my tree and without fail it is hanging in the front of the tree.

7. 4Grammy says:

My favorite ornament was made by my oldest daughter when she was in Blue Birds (Camp Fire Girls) approximately 34 years ago. It is of a little baby under a blanket in half a walnut shell used as a bed.

8. Jenna says:

Tacky as they are, I love the cheap plastic christmas tree light necklaces my aunt gave to all of the girls in the family one year. We dutifully wear them every year and every year I love them more and more.

9. FlowersForever says:

My Mother in law gave me three small porcelain deer with gold antlers; one for each of my children. Each dear has my childs name and birth date writtten in gold. She passed away shortly after she gave them to me. My Children have grown up knowing that the three deer are placed at the top of tree right below the angel. They are married now with children of their own and often ask when they will get their deer to hang on their tree. I tell them, when I'm with their grandma, then they will get their deer.

10. Erin Walsh says:

It's not a single ornament, it's the whole enchilada. A couple of years ago we decided no more live trees. The muss, fuss, going out to cut one down, the cost etc just outweighed the benefits. We discussed it with my mom as we were sitting around at her house on Christmas day.

A few weeks later she called and asked David to meet her at her friends floral shop, to pick up his new artifical tree, which surpassed my wildest expectations on how good an artificial tree could look, and then she called me up and asked me if I would please take all of the decorations from one of her trees, as she was only going to be setting up one tree from then on, instead of three.

I was actually hesitant, I already had a hard time decorating the tree each year and it was always a cluttered looking hodge podge. But she said that all of these things were special and she didn't want to give them away to just anyone. So out of guilt I took them.

I cannot describe how happy I am with my beautiful tree. The first year, after I had it all decorated, I had to call her and just tell her how special everything was, and how beautiful the tree was. I just used all of her beautiful things and fit in the few things of mine that were really special. And this year I called her again after the tree was up, to thank her again. I told her it was like a present that I got to open all over again, each year.

ewalsh40(at)gmail(dot)com

• Fall foliage in its full glory at The Swag Country Inn,

• Just beyond this rough-hewn fence lies the border of Great

• Located at more than 5,000 feet amidst the peaks of the

• "For a small fix, a design lover can keep their eyes open