Every year since we were born, my parents have given my siblings and me a special Christmas ornament. Unwrapping each hand-picked treasure is one of my favorite holiday traditions. If I was to offer my parents a hint for this year’s ornament, it would be the Courtly Check Owl from the whimsical home decor artisans at MacKenzie-Childs.

The glass ornaments in the Woodland-Inspired Collection are handcrafted and hand-painted by artists in Eastern Europe. Answer this week’s question before 12/11c Monday, Dec. 13 to be entered into the giveaway.

This week’s question: What is your favorite Christmas ornament or holiday decoration given to you by a relative?

For more holiday decor inspiration, check out HGTV’s fa-la-la-la-fabulous ideas for tree trimmings, fireplace mantels, wreaths and centerpieces.

Click for official rules.

Freebies, Holidays

1. Adrienne G. says:

My sister gave me a beautiful "sisters" ornament that means the world to me.

2. Kelly K says:

I have a collection of handmade beaded ornaments that my Grandfather made. They need to be cherished because since he has passed away there will be no more.

3. Amanda says:

a scented candle holder made of crayon wax it was all rainbow and pretty she made the mold herself

4. Tammy says:

My son made an ornament when he was in about the third grade. It had his picture on it and he was smiling so big. You could tell how special and proud he felt when he gave it to me. That is my favorite ornament.

5. Theresa says:

My favorite is the Nutcracker Ornament given to me by my niece…he is so handsome and looks beautiful on my tree.

6. angela says:

it would have to be my plastic marching soldier that lights up. I used to march in a drum and bugle corp and so my mother bought me that little marcher when I was like 17, many years ago. the owl is adorable and I love MacKenzie-Childs style!!! thank you.

7. Donna Joseph says:

The first Christmas after I was married, my new husband and I visited my parents. My mother told me I could pick one ornament from the tree from my childhood and put it on my first Christmas tree. I chose a vintage red plastic elf. Every year I enjoy finding him in my container of ornaments and he gets a special branch every year. This year our tree fell over and I lost many ornaments. Fortunately Mr. Elf survived the catastrophe!

8. Katie Fuller says:

My favorite ornaments are ones that are from my childhood. My parents had the same tradition of letting us pick out an ornament every year, and now that my sister, brother, and I are grown up, we have too many ornaments to put on one tree! Good thing my brother and sister have their own families with their own trees to decorate. I look forward to starting the ornament tradition with my own children.

9. Connie says:

My son was born on December 15 and my husband gave me an ornament with our newborn son's picture on it. I will always cherish this special holiday ornament.

10. Rolma G says:

When I moved in with my now husband, I wasn't sure how he and my cat were going to get along as he was allergic to cats (well, to all cats except her). That first Christmas we spent together, he bought me an ornament about our new house together, but then did the sweetest thing. He bought the cat an ornament which was a little mouse, holding a key with a sign that said "Welcome to your new home". Every year when we put the tree up and I see that ornament, it always brings a tear to my eye, because he not only opened up his heart and home to me, but to her as well.

• As seen on HGTV's "Property Brothers At Home"