Every year since we were born, my parents have given my siblings and me a special Christmas ornament. Unwrapping each hand-picked treasure is one of my favorite holiday traditions. If I was to offer my parents a hint for this year’s ornament, it would be the Courtly Check Owl from the whimsical home decor artisans at MacKenzie-Childs.

The glass ornaments in the Woodland-Inspired Collection are handcrafted and hand-painted by artists in Eastern Europe. Answer this week’s question before 12/11c Monday, Dec. 13 to be entered into the giveaway.

This week’s question: What is your favorite Christmas ornament or holiday decoration given to you by a relative?

For more holiday decor inspiration, check out HGTV’s fa-la-la-la-fabulous ideas for tree trimmings, fireplace mantels, wreaths and centerpieces.

Click for official rules.

Freebies, Holidays

1. my favorite decoration someone gave me is a whole set of Dept 56 Charles Dickens Christmas Village….it has 12 lighted houses/cottages/schools/churches/post offices, and 30 boxes of accessories of people gathering around & 2 boxes of trees!!!!! MOST wonderful gift i have EVER recieved!!!!! my friend who's partner died about 5 or 6 yrs ago gave this to me, i set it up EVERY year in honor of him!!!!! ive even added a few pieces to it myself, like the Elvis Presley Graceland & Times Tower w/the crystal ball that actually drops & also the 12 Days of Christmas, all of this is by Dept 56!!!!!!! :)

2. dls says:

My favorite Christmas ornament was made by my mother's mother, Grandma Clay. They were poor and she made do, as most who lived through the depression and being widowed 3 times during her life. She took a couple of yards of red Christmas ribbon (like you use to tie your packages) and bits of foil (from candy kisses) and crumpled the foil around the ribbon every so often to create handmade garland. The best part of this story is I found this garland among my mother's things years later. She had saved it and now I am saving it. My grandmother was very creative with her hands and I know that is where I get my interests and talents from.

3. My favorite ornaments are those that belonged to my daughter, Katie, from her first and only Christmas. She was 7 months old and seemingly healthy that Christmas and developed cancer and died 10-months later. Each year we still place those ornaments on our tree to bring her spirit into our Christmas celebrations.

4. Cathy says:

My Christmas tree is full of things that my kids made throughout the years. Sock snowmen, felt stockings, things that warm my heart every time I open the Christmas decorations. Also included are the special ornaments that my parents and grandmother gave us through the years. I love to just sit and look at my beautiful tree!

5. Jenn says:

My favorite would have to be my beautiful glass lighthouse ornament given to me by my aunt. I love lighthouses and try to visit as many as I can. I have lighthouse ornaments from many of these places of travel. However, the glass lighthouse ornament from my aunt has to be my favorite.

6. Linda Kutzer says:

I too have one made by my son when he was in third grade. It's made of pretzels glued together with his picture in the middle. Trimmed in red ribbon. I'm surprised it's held together all these years, he is 29, but I store it very carefully.

7. Laura S says:

I have lots of favorites. All of them mean the world to me. Some made by me as a child, some made by my children, and some made by my grandgirls. But the 1st one that came to mind when I read your question is a little bird with filament tail. This bird was part of a pair that my grandmother gave to me when I was a new mother the first time, she told me that she had gotten them when she was a young mother. A couple of years ago, our new kitten knocked the tree down and one of them was broken. But I still have this beautiful pink & silver bird with the fiber filament tail from Grandma, and now we anchor the tree!

8. Marilyn Hertenstein says:

My favorite ornament is actually a group of handmade crocheted snowflakes. They add a beautiful touch of winter snow to my tree every year, and the tree just doesn't look done without them. I've bought dated ornaments for over 40 years and love them, but the handmade snowflakes are my favorite. I love the little checked owl you are offering as a prize, and would give it a good home if i won it!

9. Linda says:

My fav holiday decoration is my original stocking. My mom knit them for my two sisters and I and mine is almost 55yrs old..Love the looks of this owl ornament too and anything that is nature themed..

Happy Holidays to you………

10. Carey says:

My favorite is my new salt and pepper snowmen my mom gave to me. They are just so cute!

• 5 Tips for Creating the Perfect Art Gallery Wall

• The outdoor-inspired and cottage-style living of HGTV Dream

• No princess is complete without her crown. HGTV fan ajerde

• A forest-green bed crown is the perfect addition to this