The Pantone Color Institute, the international authority on all things color, has just released the color of the year for 2011. Welcome honeysuckle, a reddish-pink hue that’s sure to energize your interiors.

Perfect for spring decorating, you will soon see home furnishings and accessories popping up in this 2011 color choice.

Elle Decor

Bold and vibrant, honeysuckle is an upbeat color meant to stimulate your space.

Designers from Badgley Mischka told Pantone that they love the idea of pairing honeysuckle with “whispers of gray and ivory for an overall breezy feel.” These pink and ivory chairs will definitely do the trick!

You can add a fun touch of this shade with accessories like this John Robshaw Primrose Pillow. You might also find cute glassware and table linens to bring honeysuckle home.

For those who want to go bold, follow Miles Redd’s lead, and paint the walls in this grown-up shade of pink. More sophisticated than Barbie-doll pink, honeysuckle walls add depth and make a strong statement.

The Loaded Trunk

So what are the perfect colors to pair honeysuckle with? I’m a fan of gold for glamor and drama.

Designer Peter Som recommends adding black for a classic and graphic appeal, and I have to agree. I absolutely love the way honeysuckle and black come together in this dhurrie rug.

1. babedarla says:

Ain't that the truth! We have to remember that Pantone is in the business of SELLING new colour choices!

2. MyNameIsFred says:

Yes. Why hasn't anyone invented some new color on tetrachromats can see? How unoriginal.

3. elsy espiritto says:

sie es ese el color del ano 2001 en realidad no es de mi gusto es muy fuerte

• AMERICAN says:

SPEAK…TYPE ENGLISH!!!

• S Kanner says:

I and all my friends and family agree. I and my family were not born here but we kept our culture and LEARNED TO READ AND WRITE ENGLISH. You cannot be catered to any longer.

• Ellen says:

Doesn't seem to be a need for such a comment. Might be kinder to breeze past if you don't understand. This person is simply saying the color is not his/her taste, as the color is very strong.

• Lin says:

I agree. Use English! And Honeysuckle bubble gum pink is not making it into my home this year or any other year! Pantone lost it on this one.

4. AnAmused Guest says:

Can you all really not get that? It's a color of 2001 in this person's opinion…

5. Grace, a guest says:

I have never seen a honeysuckle this color of pink. Obviously the colorists are not into gardening. This hard pink is great for an accent color, but I would leave it off the walls and floor. (By the way, I can read Spanish; however, be reminded that the language of the USA is English and has been ever since the Founding Fathers chose it over German. Leave Spanish south of the border.) I love yellows and blues, but that is simply a matter of taste.

6. Madeleine says:

What is it with the magazine Elle Decor. Here we have a beautiful, delightfully decorated room and then they have to hang the front end of the carcass of a moose on the wall. What a turnoff! Leave that stuff for the lodges of old men's clubs and a the walls of a certain political person who takes great joy in blowing away anything she can hang on her wall.

7. color q says:

Maybe they should dub it Palin Pink? Pink is pink! Seriously, this color made me think of Pepto Bismol. I am in favor of a warmer, more coral/salmon pink shade. My husband barely made it through the 'Dusty Rose' phase. I know 'Honeysuckle' won't be appearing in our home this year, or any other year for that matter.

8. Lanie says:

I love pink nail polish, but no to having it on any wall or carpet. NO just plain no. Not very sophisticated. Just plain no thank you. Not soothing either.

9. @Dcandlady54 says:

Omgosh…NOT…It looks like pepto bismol…Which is what I'd need if I painted Any room in my home this color…It is a beautiful color, But as an accent, Not a primary color…My 2cents…

• Barb says:

I totally agree. That is the first thing that came to mind. Even my girls hated that color before they could name colors.

10. Marie says:

Pink is for little girls with pigtails, not general decor color throughout the house. Maybe color-blind pink is more appropriate for the name. You're colorists must be just getting out of their tweens!