Not to be a Grinch, but I’m relieved the holidays are over. I’m glad to go back to my normal schedule and to start thinking ahead to Valentine’s Day and even spring. This month’s color is the perfect looking-ahead color, one that embraces spring’s delicate hues, without totally giving up on the icy tones of winter. Even the name captures that it’s-still-cold-but-I’m-already-thinking-warm feeling.

What’s January’s color? Pantone’s Silver Peony.

While we always use Pantone’s color forecasts as a guide, it’s rare that we actually pick one of their exact hues (last month, for example, we went with navy; the month before that, plum). But the more our color team looked, the more of this top 10 color for 2011 we saw…and we loved it.

It’s a misleading color — is it rose? Is it beige? Is that a slight undertone of gray? Alone, it seems tame, almost invisible. But pair it with friends, and it livens up.

We saw it most often with gray and blue:

Pottery Barn’s Botanical Bedding

Or paired with greige for a hint of color:

Unison Home Twill Blanket

I love how it pops against greens of all shades, like it does in this Erinn Valencich headboard:

Is that a harbinger of spring, or what?

And notice how it stands out subtly against the winter white curtains in this coolly sophisticated living room by Ammie Kim:

If Silver Peony were a Facebook page, would you “Like” it?

P.S. Pink’s definitely on our minds this season, especially after Pantone announced Honeysuckle as their 2011 Color of the Year. Read our color guru Jeanine Hays’ take on Honeysuckle. Then let us know what you think about it, too.

Design Inspiration

1. Helga Miller says:

Silver peony a color that has a clean look and very easy to mix and match you cant go wrong with it.

2. The Silver Peony is gorgeous and I love the ways you've shown it used…very versatile.

Happy New Year!

3. Barb says:

Beautiful!

4. Maryse Westley says:

The Silver Peony is too quiet for my liking!

5. Beautiful color, I love light and airy things there very refreshing

6. jill says:

yuck….just a fancy way to bring back mauve and grey from the 80's. just say NO.

7. Your colors are beautiful, light and airy very refreshing especially after the holidays . Thank you

8. Kim says:

I like it, very calming and classy.

9. Cathy Cunningham says:

not to my liking. wimpy. also reminds me of vomit.

10. jane says:

this isnt a pretty color at all…blah… i need excitement and life in my rooms not blah i have had blah in my life for four years since my husband left this earth… dont try to pass this off on me. dont like it. but what i did see on tv the other day was lavendar walls with gray and silver stripes and qvc had a comforter that would have matched it. it was beautiful. i have the lavendar walls but i am not able to put on the stripes… i didnt buy the comforter. for decorators you all sure do a terrible job sometimes. i do like the chairs from pottery barn and would look nice if there were color on the walls… mauve and gray was pretty years ago but its not going in my house now. and i am not a fan of grays and silvers but togethr with the lavendar i saw was very pretty… it wasnt mauve.