Face it; we’ve all been there. The early morning alarm buzzes, you pad into the bathroom to take a shower and eek! you’re greeted with cold floors. What? I’m not the only one?

I suppose there’s more to radiant floor heating than the luxurious benefit of having warm-to-the-touch tile (like energy savings due to convection and increased return on investment) but to be honest, Husband and I installed it for the sheer purpose of pampering our tootsies. A small price to pay and a simple installation process that will skyrocket the average bathroom into serious spa-like territory; the other stuff is just a nice bonus.

We chose Laticrete’s radiant floor heat kit after hearing reviews of an affordable and simple installation. And honestly? The process was simple indeed (with the exception of leveling the tile, but that’s a post for another week!), thanks to this handy radiant heating floor installation tutorial. The entire installation took half-a-day and we can’t wait to test the results on our chilly toes.

Of course, we’ll be watching our electric bill to see if the new floor really does save us money (the programmable thermostat should help). When we move in, I’ll let you know how we fared! We’ll also be posting pictures of the finished bathroom down the road, so you can judge us on how well we leveled those tiles!

Until then, if you’re in the market for radiant floor heating, I’ve rounded up some great resources that will help you decide whether it’s right for you.

- Types, tips and benefits of radiant floor heating
- Energy efficiency and radiant heating
- A guide to radiant floor heating for homeowners

Enjoy!

Floor & Wall

1. Violet Houseworth says:

The heated floors are an awesome bonus….Run out of beds, grab the sleeping bags……One giant slumber party!!!!!!!!!

2. Melody says:

I have always heard of heated floors, but have never experienced this for myself. My feet are always cold in the winter months so I hope that I win this beautiful home! Thanks HGTV! :)

3. Hi David, I just love your show. a few weeks ago i was watching an episode where you designed a very upscale apartment in a very exclusive poosh, metropolitan neighborhood. In a hi rise building. You used a wallpaper that you placed behind the sofa. It consisted of a series of huge white architectural columns that had a 3D effect. I think you said you had to import it from the UK. I just have to have it for a room I'm going to decorate my living room. It has a black and white theme, it would just be perfect. Please email me and let me know where you got it from. So I can purchase some for my project. Thanks…

4. nita says:

Oh my goodness, it would be so nice to wake up and have warm floors. I had very cold icy floors growing up in N.C. The only heat we had was a woodburning stove. It would be so warm to crawl in behind the woodstove and sit while i got dressed for school. If it was not for the extra quilts we had on the beds and socks to wear to bed we would have surely froze. But you know something I would never trade those days for any amount of money. They are precious in my memories, The best years of my life.

5. Wow! that is something! I would love to have that.

Discount Landscape

Happy New Year!

6. Wow this is really amazing! Looks like it might take a lot of electricity though.

Discount Landscape

Happy New Year!

7. ttile2011 says:

Yes, heated floors are nice to have. The most important thing you need to know is what kind of warranty dose the floor heating system have, and is the person qualified to install it to get the full warranty. Just because you can get one brand cheaper, dose not always mean you got the best deal. Repairs to floor hearing systems, like the ones you can put under tile can cost in the thousands to fix. In closing; get the best hearing system you can, and have a person qualified with that brand install it for you. Remember C.Y.A dose not cost,repairs and installing wrong dose.

8. Janet says:

This is something we have wanted for our bathroom. It looks easy enough for the average homeowner, We may even try it!!!

9. ej7103 says:

that house and the warm floor will be great for me and wife and above all our nine children they love to run around bare feet even in the winter months this house will be great for my kids.

10. ej7103 says:

you know what this house was the plus of my 2011 year when i saw it and saw the layout and the dormroom i just see my kids happy not having to fight for the bathroom and their own space. Since i lost my job we have been living with my motherinlaws house not friendly to my kids; this house calls out mend to be yours; my wife said u go , but when she saw the house we claimed it in Jesus name!!!!! the four season change will be great.