For the first episode of Design Star Dan Faires’ online show, DanMade, he shows how to create a high-end upholstered headboard without breaking the bank.

Headboard

All you need: plywood, a painter’s canvas and some carpet tacks.

Get the step-by-step instructions. Also, check in next Monday for another DanMade project.

1. Helga Miller says:

This is an easy project I have done this my self and I love the results, don't be afraid to try new things you are going to want to do all of your beds in one day.

2. Sarah says:

SEXY video on so many levels!

3. denise brock says:

i have begun to tune away from hgtv. every time i tune in, there in a show about selling you house. do your producers think that's all there is going on in the world! hgtv became popular with true decorating shows. they are few and far between on this channel. such a shame. it seems selling your house is more important than taking care of the one you have.

• Amy says:

Denise, I completely agree. I have said as much and more on HGTV's FB page. They are deaf. I don't think they care. Most of the new/different shows on Sat and Sun come from the DIY network. I have a home I am not selling, I can't afford to move overseas and don't care about House Hunters AT ALL! I would like more design shows too. Maybe someday they will listen to us, until then, no HGTV for me. Sad.

• Kate says:

I feel the same way, I used to watch it for decorating idea's, now everytime I turn it on it's either Property Virgins, House Hunters or Selling NY. They need to have more Candice, Gen, David and Vern.

• Lynn says:

I agree. Basic, affordable (not cheap) decorating shows are lacking.

• Mercedes says:

I too agree with the rest of bloggers, where are the nice shows you use to have? I myself have also turned away from HGTV because of the selling shows. Also that guy that goes in to finish the repairs somone messed up, come on guys, enough is enough!! BRING BACK THE DECORATING SHOWS and you will get more ratings!

• AlH says:

I feel the same way! It seems that Saturday is the only day where there are that you can learn something!

4. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tara Simon, Anne Wilkerson, casadiseno, HGTV, Debra S. Kling and others. Debra S. Kling said: RT @hgtv: See the first episode of "DanMade" from Design Star fan fave winner @danfaires here>> http://ow.ly/3J6nP #designTV [...]

5. @ChicModern says:

Dan is my new friend I love this headboard, and I agree with Sarah sexy video.

6. Jeanette says:

Are you kidding Denise. I love tuning in to hgtv when House Hunter, House Hunter International and Selling New York is on. It blows my mind how much the prices vary from state to state for a similar type home. It makes me feel fortunate that I live in a city where even young couples can afford a nice home.

7. Mike says:

I would agree with Denise… this type of stuff is what made HGTV so fun to watch. I only wish I got the DIY network on cable, but I don't. Seems like all there is on HGTV anymore is buying and selling homes. Don't get me wrong when I was buying a home it was great. Now that I own a home, I want ideas and videos like this!

8. Dr Grenaudo, PhD says:

Dan is going to take over the whole HGTV network and return it back to it's roots one stalk at a time

9. Jacqueline Cooke says:

Easy Project with a big impact – I've done this before and it really is as easy as Dan makes it seem. He had some great tips though which I hadn't seen before so I've learned something new today. Looking forward to seeing Dan on HGTV soon.

10. Kim Houston says:

I thought I was the only one! Miss all the decorating shows so much!!! Enjoy House Hunters but it's not what makes HGTV… Bring back DECORATING!