For the first episode of Design Star Dan Faires’ online show, DanMade, he shows how to create a high-end upholstered headboard without breaking the bank.

Headboard

All you need: plywood, a painter’s canvas and some carpet tacks.

Get the step-by-step instructions. Also, check in next Monday for another DanMade project.

1. Donna says:

I agree with what people are trying to say "HGTV PLEASE BRING BACK MORE DECORATING AND DESIGN SHOWS!!!!" That's what made HGVT so great. I love Candace Olson's show Divine Design (my favorite), Sarah's House, Color Splash, The Antonio Treatment, and that crazy Ausi Jamie Durie just to mention a few. They are all full of great design and creative ideas. Some more battle on the block also would also be fun!

2. just me says:

I agree with a previous poster. I loved the show that had the designer take a magazine picture of a room that cost well over $10,000 to design and make a room that cost around $1,000. That is what I want back. I also love "design on a dime". They show you how to decorate/design on a budget.

3. molly says:

Loved this guy on Design Star! I'm a DIY'er and love the shows that make it practical, like Sarah's House for instance. I agree with the sentiment here. I am tired of all the House Hunters! I might like one an evening, but I just don't turn it on at night because that's ALL there is to see.

4. Mimi says:

The new design on a dime team is awful. What happened to the red haired lady? She was great.

5. Jennifer says:

Nice video, cool project – give Dan a design show! I agree with so many of the previous posters – PLEASE bring back more design shows. So tired of Real Estate shows in prime time – we want DESIGN!

6. Glenda Baird says:

HGTV – Enough of House Hunters, House Hunters International and Selling New York already! Ready for new faces and ideas on decorating.

7. Sherri says:

These are the types of shows that I enjoy most about HGTV. We will always be fixing up things or redecorating…but we are not buying a new home EVERY day. HGTV needs more programs like this.

8. I totally agree that there is far too much selling/buying houses on HGTV! I suspect making those show is more "cost effective" then doing make over and decorating shows – but they will lose that benefit if we aren't watching. More and more I am watching Netflix or my own DVDs during the times I WAS watching HGTV.

9. Pam says:

HGTV, are you listening to these comments??? I'm sure House Hunters is ALOT cheaper for you—BUT I prefer redecorating, Gardening and landscaping would be really appreciated!

10. Pat Angeley says:

This was a great video. Miss this type of Decorating. Something the average person, homeowner or renter can do. So many can't buy homes now and need to make the place they live better. Need more of Dan type programs!! I too loved watching the house hunter programs, but am over that and ready for more decorating, PLEASE!!!