For the first episode of Design Star Dan Faires’ online show, DanMade, he shows how to create a high-end upholstered headboard without breaking the bank.

Headboard

All you need: plywood, a painter’s canvas and some carpet tacks.

Get the step-by-step instructions. Also, check in next Monday for another DanMade project.

1. @FaVeCalGirl says:

As the HGTV Bring Dan Back Spokesperson, ok, not really but, I definitely am part of the club I am beyond thrilled to see the series. The headboard is awesome. He makes things look easy and explains how to do them on your level. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. Now take over that truck, come to California and makeover my house. :-)

2. Kimberly says:

You know it, Denise! I flip through the channels each night wondering what I might catch on HGTV and usually find HOUSE HUNTERS! Ugghhh! Why do we really care what home someone else is going to choose?!? I want to know how I can make small, but meaningful design/decorating changes in my own AWESOME home. I love Candice and haven't seen her new show yet. Come on, HGTV, find a way to get back to your roots and the core audience who made you so popular over the last decade!

3. Gretta says:

Agree with above comments!!! Bring back design shows.!!! Selling New York needs to go way. I love the shows that show you how to design on budget.

4. POP Designer says:

Good concept and cost efficient but the toxic spray mount will off-gas when the room heats. Hopefully, DYI designers don't place their headboard above a baseboard or near a forced-air vent if using this VOC product.
    TSK-TSK!

5. Moscowjoe says:

OK..Dan made it seem so easy and being an avid flicker between DIY and HGTV on a daily basis, I'm an avid, picky viewer. This headboard goes with most design styles, be it traditional, transitional or contemporary. Swap out the fabric color to suit yourself and you've got a winner. But there is a tendency for HGTV to push the real estate side. Nice to see a design star you can believe in and who is relevant.

6. kaylout says:

I think you might be right, Denise. I miss "Hidden Potential" which merged house hunting with home decorating/renovations… I've noticed that I don't watch HGTV as much as I used to, and I think you might have hit exactly why that is… wow…

7. Bobbie says:

I agree with everyone else. Less real estate shows and more decorating.

8. Cheryl says:

Sarah"s House is my favorite, her design ideas and salvage projects are great1 HGTV needs more decorating
    ideas than the same House Hunters etc. Would also like to see NEW Candace Olson and David Bromstead instead of reruns that are on constantly!

9. Laura says:

TOTALLY agree with you. I would absolutely love to see more of Sara's House, Divine D. , Design Remix (remember that one?), color splash, of course! etc….whatever that has disign/ decorating/inspiring ideas.

10. L. Williams says:

I am with you J. Fornell! What have they done to David and Candice! Arrrgh! Although I am thrilled to see Dan have an online show, he needs to have a regular show too! Yay Dan!