For the first episode of Design Star Dan Faires’ online show, DanMade, he shows how to create a high-end upholstered headboard without breaking the bank.

Headboard

All you need: plywood, a painter’s canvas and some carpet tacks.

Get the step-by-step instructions. Also, check in next Monday for another DanMade project.

1. Janet Landers says:

I am constantly looking for design inspiration with a budget. I truly loved this creative show which copied a designer's room for a fraction of the cost, and share your interest!

2. heather says:

I agree 110%. People tuned in for Decorating. Especially on a budget. Great past shows that can't be found include copying a high end room for a fraction of the cost. Those 2 dumpster divers that made something wonderful from something left on the curve. Helping us decorate and think outside the box. The shows that decorated rooms for $50, $500 or $1000. Realistic budget for everyone. I know I used to watch all the time but now there is rarely anything on in Prime time or late. Those of us who work during the day also enjoy decorating. HGTV listen to your viewers and cut back to 1 hr a week for buying homes for the few who are interested. Go back to what made us watch in the first place. It is not seeing someone spending 90,000 on decorating to see how much more they can sell the house for nor buying homes. It is decorating with realistic budgets or no budget at all. Dan show goes back to what people want but then you have to go to online. Listen HGTV producersput these type of shows back of HGTV or continue to loose your viewers. Those with the big bucks hire designers and don't watch the shows.

3. Kappagirl says:

Beautiful….how simple and Dan explains everything you need to do. Give this guy his own TV SHOW…I bet someone's going to grab him soon!

4. Lorrie says:

So what does HGTV have to say about ALL of these comments……..??????????? Are you a real estate channel or are you about homes, decorating and gardening????

5. [...] Still not sure about a headboard, as well. Maybe we’ll craft a refined rustic headboard like sweet [...]

6. Gigi says:

So tell me again why Dan didn't win his own show……? He's great so correct your mistake by giving him a show now in the evenings. I know I'm not saying anything new here but it is so frustrating to turn on the TV in the evening after a long work day just to see the same Real Estate programs night after night. Time for a change!!

7. Pia says:

I have to agree with the majority..I use to watch HGTV every day for so many years..now I am sick of .bang for your buck, selling houses, ect. want more decorating ideas especially on a budget,,,This is what made HGTV ! not the rest of this….

8. marcia henderson says:

Whatever happened to the "G" in HGTV? You know the gardening shows. Please start showing them again

9. Lynn says:

Too many house hunter shows , I already own one of those ! Now bring back the shows that show me how to make my home pretty !

10. Bobbie says:

Though I enjoy watching House Hunters and House Hunters International (I love to see how the world lives), enough is enough! Selling New York is boring! If HGTV insists on House Hunting type shows, why don't they start a new show and take us back to some of the sites where the new home owners have renovated their new homes? Show us how they do it and the end results–especially the decorating parts. And whatever happened to Clive Pearce? I never see him anymore and I miss him–especially on the last Design Star!