For the first episode of Design Star Dan Faires’ online show, DanMade, he shows how to create a high-end upholstered headboard without breaking the bank.

Headboard

All you need: plywood, a painter’s canvas and some carpet tacks.

Get the step-by-step instructions. Also, check in next Monday for another DanMade project.

1. Cindee says:

Love Love Love this design. We are planning a move soon & I'll be updating our bedroom & this is perfect. I'll be trying Dan's instructions very soon. I look forward to more of Dan's designs. He's amazing :D

2. Beth says:

Glad to know I am not alone in my disappointment with HGTV programming . Bring back Shari Hillyer and Matt, the shows that decorated a room for $1000 And where is Danielle from the old Color Splash,
    she should have her own show. Will not watch David in Miami – Curb Appeal still a great show because it inspires people to try stuff on their own.

• Nathan says:

If u have Create that is 242 on Comcast that where you will find Shari Hillyer and Matt. It a 24 hour a day. there will re-show show you have miss when at work. Shari Hillyer and Matt are on Tuesdays on Create.

3. Cheryl Byrd says:

I agree with Johnna and so many others.. bring back the design shows. I liked the one about just rearranging furniture (free design?) I loved the one about replicating the high end rooms, there was a favorite one where $50 plus what the homeowners already had were made into a really neat room. Where is all the imagination at HGTV gone? It must be cheaper to shoot the homes for sale shows, but come on HGTV, give the people what we want.
    Cheryl Byrd

4. Rob says:

I agree Glenda. It was becoming HHTV (House Hunters TV)

Looking forward to fresh faces and new ideas as well.

5. Tricia Zimmerman says:

Amen to everyone who is sick of watching people buy and sell houses. What happened to all the Design Stars? Love David Bromstad but want to see more of the others. They are going to lose all their viewers if they continue with current programming.

6. Tammy says:

And I will second that Amen!! I too am tired of all that selling and buying stuff. I remember when HGTV first came on and it was about practical and affordable decorating. Where did it all go? Could it be that you got "caught up in all the glitz of show biz" syndrome?

This DanMade episodes look very practical. And I love the rustic look of stuff, so not into modern, contemporary designs.

7. colbremar says:

I so need a headboard and this one will be perfect! I cannot wait to make one for myself! Thank you Dan! Awesome job!

8. Too much fun says:

DItto Ditto Ditto lToo much house hunters at night and not enough decorating shows for those of us who watch HGTV at night. Some shows on re-purposing furniture, updating kitchens and bathrooms without tearing everything out and starting over would be helpful. Love Sarah's House, Divine Design and Color Splash

9. Jesse says:

This is a good reminder to make sure your mattress is cleaned routinely.
    For tips, visit <a href="http://www.ProCLeanSTL.com” target=”_blank”>www.ProCLeanSTL.com

10. Susan says:

Hope HGTV goes way, way back to their roots……before they became GLAAD.

• Janice Robertson says:

We need HGTV to go back to the reason I got cable TV and that was to watch Quilting shows, Craft shows and Decorating shows like Decorating With STyle , Country AT HOME, Carrol Deval, and Simply Quilts, this house hunting and remodeling stuff was not why us women started watching HGTV.