The 2011 Academy Award nominations were announced today. Consequently, everyone’s talking about the snubs and surprises, mostly in the categories of Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Director. But what I want to talk about is Art Direction (aka Set Design).

Who do you think Oscar overlooked? Which of the five nominations are dead on?

The King's Speech - The Weinstein Company

These are the nominees:

• Alice in Wonderland - Robert Stromberg (Production Design); Karen O’Hara (Set Decoration)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 – Stuart Craig (Production Design); Stephenie McMillan (Set Decoration)
  • Inception – Guy Hendrix Dyas (Production Design); Larry Dias and Doug Mowat (Set Decoration)
  • The King’s Speech – Eve Stewart (Production Design); Judy Farr (Set Decoration)
  • True Grit – Jess Gonchor (Production Design); Nancy Haigh (Set Decoration)

I was excited to see this comment in The Washington Post:  Sammy 328 – “Am I the only one surprised that Black Swan didn’t get a nomination for art direction?” I totally agree Sammy. I’m also disappointed not to see The Kids Are All Right and Julie Berghoff among the nominees, though not surprised. No shocker that The King’s Speech made the cut. This post from Curbed got me thinking The Social Network was overlooked. (And hopefully with the nod to Inception, Guy Henrix Dyas will reveal the location of the Arts & Crafts bungalow featured in the film. I want to live there. Or at least tour it.)

What movies do you think deserved more love from Oscar in Art Direction?

Design Inspiration

1. Jonathan says:

Black Swan was the biggest surprise to me although all of the nominees make sense for being recognized.

2. Missy says:

I'm happy with the 5 nominated films. Glad that they are all so unique from one another. It will be interesting to see who rises to the top.

3. rosefire says:

Well, I've only seen 2 of the 5 movies, but "Black Swan" certainly should have been a contender, and "Winter's Bone"…or doesn't 'real scenery' count?

4. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Chane Realty, Hugh. Hugh said: Oscar Nominations: Art Direction Snubs & Shockers?: The 2011 Academy Award nominations were announced today. Con… http://bit.ly/gexA9G [...]

5. Heather says:

"Black Swan" definitely should have made the list…

6. detroitdolly says:

definitely a snub on 'black swan' thought i am one of the few who did not really enjoy the film (perhaps it was the way it was advertised as a thriller and in actuality was more like an art house flick). i think they could have gotten a nod for art direction, though. i was surprised at 'true grit' getting the nod, though it was one of my faves. 'inception' also, me in the minority again, liking it not at all, will get the nod because it was so unique in its art design.

7. Lizzie Smith says:

The low budget "Black Swan" should have been nominated for art direction – how did they overlook this? Or is it because it's low budget?

8. Hi, This is a nice post, thanks.