When talking color for February, red, pink and white are always at the top of the list—thanks to Valentine’s Day. What I really want for February isn’t a romantic cliche but a mood brightener, something to balance out these gray, cold days.

We kicked off this month’s debate with three strong contenders: sunny yellow, springy violet and a citrusy tangerine.

Since so many of our editors were traveling during our scheduled meeting time, we took the conversation to email — and the lack of face-to-face time let the gloves come off. After days of impassioned arguments, gorgeous images and lots of emails that started out like, “Well, Lonny said…”, it came down to a tie between yellow and tangerine.

yellow and tangerine paint swatches

To break the tie, I turned to our pal Brian Patrick Flynn, sending him images of the paint swatches. Here’s what he said.

“Tangerine. It’s totally underused and can be so gorgeous with white or cream. Yellow makes me wanna punch an angel.”

Tangerine it is! And we’re not alone in loving it. Lonny Magazine named it one of spring’s hottest colors for 2011, while Stylecaster gave it a fashionable spin as spring’s hottest lip color (though the shade we chose is more subdued—Olivia Wilde’s pout not Chloe Sevigny’s).

tangerine mood boardHavana Place Mats, Horchow; C2 Tangerine paint swatch, House Beautiful; handmade pillows, Etsy; Working Practice: Ghada Amer at Cheim & Read, 1stdibs (warning: some of this stuff is racy); tangerine Fiestaware, amazon.com

The thing I love about this color is how one piece can brighten a room, like the Hermes box in Barbara Barry’s office:

barbara barry's office

I also love how, for a bright, it plays well with so many other colors, from pink to aqua to grass green. Tobi Fairley loves this shade and uses it in tons of designs:

Tobi Fairley Melon Buffet

Tobi Fairley Orange Bedroom

Read Brian Patrick Flynn’s interview with Tobi Fairley

And look how divine it is with gray, warming a color that might otherwise be bland. Simultaneously masculine and feminine. Love!

Tangerine and Gray Dining Room - Traditional HomeDining room, Traditional Home

orange and gray living roomLiving room, Bright Bazaar

Design Inspiration

1. Irene says:

My question is to the director of HGTV…. why has the tv program "Get Out Way Out" with Scott ?? been taken off the air?
    I so loved his tastes in outdoor space… I would rank him high up there with Candice Olsen…she is the best of the best…gooo Candice

Thanks Irene

2. pixelecho69 says:

" Tangerine " is the color of the month I like it but it does make me think of creamsicle ice cream.

3. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Chane Realty, Hugh. Hugh said: Color of the Month: February 2011: When talking color for February, red, pink and white are always at the top of… http://bit.ly/eKwxXq [...]

4. Amy PureHome says:

Really diggin' the tangerine. I love how well it goes with gray – which is a color that really rules my current home decor. Tangerine could really add a pop of color to the gray!

• HGTV_Kelley says:

I love the tangerine floral pillows in the mood board — they'd ROCK in a gray room! And yeah, pixelcho69, it reminds me of creamsicle, too. :D

5. ccrider says:

This color and its varying shades and hues are used throughout my house and transitions well through the seasons.

6. Pietra Fina says:

Love this color, always brightens any room.

7. jewels for hope says:

I make crystal ankle bracelets and Swarovski Crystal came out with a color called Sunflower.. Can't wait to create….

8. Woodale Designs says:

I think the colors look great but are overused in some cases. I am a fan when it's used in curtain material but I think it's a little much for wall paint:)

9. RosaleeZammuto says:

The tangerine color is beautiful. I've read orange is supposed to make people feel happy. It's a good color for a party.

10. Maria Narvaez says:

I like the color but love if it was a little more lighter..