The owners of this Turkish hotel, Yunak Evleri, can’t claim all the credit for its design. That goes to a much more ancient people. Carved into the the mountainside in the Cappadocian village of Urgup centuries ago, this surreal retreat has 30 rooms that date back to the 5th and 6th century.

It has been updated with whitewashed earthen walls, hardwood floors and kilim carpets, while preserving its ancient features. The hotel manages to achieve a timelessness that is warm and welcoming while remaining respectful of its past.

Design Inspiration

1. HGTV_Kelley says:

Okay, that's AWESOME. Reminds me of a book I heard about last night on NPR, A Time to Keep Silence, about a man who visited different monasteries and wrote about his experience.

2. pixelecho69 says:

! Wow ! I would have never thought just by looking at it from the outside that it was this majestic I love it, I don't think I could stay there because I'm claustrophobic but It looks amazing.

3. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Grand Homes, Chane Realty. Chane Realty said: Daily Delight: Cave Hotel: The owners of this Turkish hotel, Yunak Evleri, can’t claim all the credit for its de… http://bit.ly/hSFKRG [...]

4. lsk says:

At first i thought this was a joke. Is this legal there. I mean shouldn't this be off limits to archeologists etc. Theres something wrong with this picture.

• Guest says:

There are actually a lot of cave dwellings in the region. Like thousands. Many of them are preserved or off-limits. Others can be visited on tours. So there's no issue about this hotel having some of them.

5. Özlem says:

This picture is true.This place is called Kapadokya in Turkey and there is no another place like this in the World.İt s now a turistic place and this stone houses is using as a hotel but at the past they were real home.(I am talking about 30-40 years ago).You can search at google writing kapadokya or ürgüp .

6. Brad says:

I stayed in this very hotel about three years ago. It was amazing. The rooms are carved out as a square so they don't feel small or claustrophobic. If you go to Cappadocia, be sure to do the hot-air balloon at dawn. It's pricey but utterly amazing and serene.

7. Amy PureHome says:

How cool is this?!?! This is probably right up there with the ice hotels that have become so popular…as kitschy as it is I do still LOVE the Pantone Hotel.

8. Fogelson says:

My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought I should check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to looking over your web page again.

9. Meghan says: