Last year, Tina Shoulders of Laidback Home kicked off a series of blog posts spotlighting designers of color. And even though she started mid-February, that didn’t stop her from writing a full 28 days of awesome posts. If you missed it, don’t worry, she compiled her work. 28 Days of Diversity in Design is available in e-book form.

I Love My Hair prints by Andrea Pippins

I Love My Hair prints - designer Andrea Pippins

Like Tina shows, so many African-American designers are doing amazing work. (Last year, we interviewed Jack Poles, Will Smith, Kim Myles and Sheila Bridges.) But people of color are still underrepresented in the fields of architecture, interior design and decor. It’s crucial to call out the trailblazers, movers and shakers and up-and-comers. So, I call on you, our Design Happens fans, to expand my ever-growing list of favorites.

1. [...] out a really great post from HGTV online about Artists of Color to watch here.  The artists listed are amazing and will certainly be a part of the forefront of [...]

2. Malene Davis says:

the beehive is ecstatic, blown away, and every other wonderful superlative you can think of for even being mentioned in such wonderful company. Thank you, HGTV, for this post, and for recognizing us as a part of it.

the beehive is a place that encourages the largest amount of diversity possible with people starting their businesses with handmade products, and seek to teach women and men of all colors to be the best entrepreneurs they can be. We thank you, thank you, thank you, and fully welcome the HGTV family at the beehive next time you're around our way in the ATL!

3. [...] Black History Month – Trailblazers & Movers and Shakers [...]

4. [...] Black History Month – Trailblazers & Movers and Shakers Posted in News [...]

5. Gail Harper says:

Thank you so much for acknowledging the fact that African American designers are underrepresented practically everywhere. iIam so disappointed that Kim Myles show "Myles of Style" is no longer on. I tend to think that when the network kept changing her time-slot, that she lost ratings because her fans did not know when to watch her. She was the first African-American woman to win HGTV design star and she should be on as much as some of the others.

6. Anna@HGTV says:

Just doubled checked them. All should be working. Though Beehive is slow to load.

7. Anna@HGTV says:

Yes, Venus! And how could I forget Mr. Lenny Kravitz's interiors. It's a working, ever expanding list!

8. Anna@HGTV says:

I'm downloading your ebook this week! And please suggest some of your favs for me to follow.

9. Anna@HGTV says:

Together we thrive!

10. Anna@HGTV says:

Love your work. And share with me – us – your favorites you follow.

11. Anna@HGTV says:

You give me hope that one day I will finish renovating our bungalow!

12. Anna@HGTV says:

Growth, prosperity…and creating a more beautiful America…including a more beautifully designed America! That's something that excites me about the next 100 years.

13. Anna@HGTV says:

Erika, reading about all you have done in the past 5 + years amazes and inspires me. Your Pure post got me thinking…have you been to Rise n' Dine in Emory Village. Love the interiors of that restaurant. And you are so right about funding arts education. How will our young people know about these amazing, creative, fun careers with out exposure to the fine arts and decorative and design arts. (Side note, I wish my head looked as beautiful as yours does when mine was shaved.)

14. Anna@HGTV says:

Looks like she has a new website coming soon!

15. Anna@HGTV says:

Thank you Julie, checking out Ms. Bailey thanks to your comment!

16. Anna@HGTV says:

Well, I love shopping at beehive!

17. Anna@HGTV says:

Thanks William, checking out your blog, looks awesome!

18. Anna@HGTV says:

Thanks Lakeitha, I'll be following!

19. Anna@HGTV says:

You're so right. (Smack myself on the head moment!) Love Ms. Lake!

See What We’re Pinning