Last year, Tina Shoulders of Laidback Home kicked off a series of blog posts spotlighting designers of color. And even though she started mid-February, that didn’t stop her from writing a full 28 days of awesome posts. If you missed it, don’t worry, she compiled her work. 28 Days of Diversity in Design is available in e-book form.

I Love My Hair prints by Andrea Pippins

I Love My Hair prints - designer Andrea Pippins

Like Tina shows, so many African-American designers are doing amazing work. (Last year, we interviewed Jack Poles, Will Smith, Kim Myles and Sheila Bridges.) But people of color are still underrepresented in the fields of architecture, interior design and decor. It’s crucial to call out the trailblazers, movers and shakers and up-and-comers. So, I call on you, our Design Happens fans, to expand my ever-growing list of favorites.

1. catrice says:

Venus Williams, the tennis player, has a design firm, VStarr Designs in Florida. They designed the Tavis Smiley set and were in the running to design the Olympic Village had the US won the Olympics.

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Suzette Greer, Fairly Simpleton, Chane Realty, Hugh, Grand Homes and others. Grand Homes said: Black History Month – Trailblazers & Movers and Shakers: Last year, Tina Shoulders of Laidback Hom… http://bit.ly/dLrrOq #design @hgtv [...]

3. Tina says:

Thanks so much for this post, acknowledging the contributions of those of color and for the shout out to the ebook. Keep making design happen ;-)

4. Andrea says:

Thanks for including Fly and the I Love My Hair images!

• Anna@HGTV says:

Is your grad school thesis available to read? Those prints make me smile. And please share with me your favs for me to follow!

• Andrea says:

Hi Anna,
        Unfortunately no, in this particular design program the project itself represents the thesis. But if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Email me!

5. The Broke Socialite says:

This post is wonderful!

6. @nikimcneill says:

I am beyond thrilled to be apart of this list! Thanks so much for the mention Anna!

7. It is such a honor to be recognized among many other talented design professionals. Thank you Anna for feature! Love the artwork, too.

• Anna@HGTV says:

Erika, reading about all you have done in the past 5 + years amazes and inspires me. Your Pure post got me thinking…have you been to Rise n' Dine in Emory Village. Love the interiors of that restaurant. And you are so right about funding arts education. How will our young people know about these amazing, creative, fun careers with out exposure to the fine arts and decorative and design arts. (Side note, I wish my head looked as beautiful as yours does when mine was shaved.)

8. Katrina@CLH says:

Thank you so much for including Chic Little House on your list of ever growing Favs – It means so much to US! :)

Best, Katrina

9. Janaire says:

Some of the links are not working for me. Its saying the page is not found. Not sure why…

10. Janise says:

First I would like to thank you HGTV. I appreciate the acknowledgement and I celebrate it. Thanks again for recognizing the folks that have earned their positions as people of color and Americans!! They have contributed to the growth and prosperity of society and their culture.

• Anna@HGTV says:

Growth, prosperity…and creating a more beautiful America…including a more beautifully designed America! That's something that excites me about the next 100 years.