Ah. The first episode of my brand spankin new show, Secrets From a Stylist. (The launch is saturday at 9pm. 1 day and counting, geez. And the official title of my first episode?… Hollywood Regency Meets Country Club). It’s like the first day of high school. I remember it like it was yesterday, but I feel like I’ve grown up a lot already by the second semester, er 10th episode. The first week EVERYBODY was trying to figure out their roles; what were our strengths, weaknesses, and the general crazy timing of it all. And don’t forget while i’m styling and hosting each episode, i’m still working on the next four to six designs, so i was having a blast, but was kinda also doing the first week of training for the mental olympics, well my version of it anyway. But the first week, like freshman year, was full of excitement, anxiety and total madness. And it all begins with the style diagnostic…..

Me, Hillary and Bobby

So here’s a secret: Yes, i have met with the clients before the first day of shooting. I have to plan major pieces of furniture so there is a general design plan and order to the week. BUT, The Style Diagnostic is real, people. Trust. And every single week things come out in it that throw me off and force serious changes that make the episode interesting for all of us. And this week is no exception.

The Living Room...Before. Gotta Tune In To See The After, Tho.

I have hopes and predictions of what their styles answers are, and sometimes their answers are as hoped and predicted, and sometimes i end up learning new things about the clients each week, in real time. So with Hillary and Bobby they chose the fabrics that made sense, but then they both reached for the weird beer stein that said more ‘mid-evil party animal’, than the Hollywood Regency and Country Club Chic that i had in mind. But after a long conversation on why they chose that instead of the gold filligreed wine glass or the heavy manly rocks glass, it came out that what they loved about it was that it was a ‘two-fer’. Huh.

What is a two-fer you ask (as i did)? Well its something that has a double function. Hillary said that Bobby’s dream chair would also be a waffle maker. Gadget furniture, basically. It makes him happy, it makes him smile and so my prediction of serious and conservative is sent walking. Turns out he is whimsical as well. And while the gadgety stein isn’t actually a two-fer, it was a glass with a toy on top, with a fun gadget. So when you watch the style diagnostic which last about 2 minutes and 30 seconds of air time, know that the entire diagnostic actually takes about 45 minutes and includes many explanations, follow up questions and a lot of laughing. Believe me, A LOT of laughing, at me, with me and, well, at me.

Come back for more behind the scenes, random facts, resources and general ‘how did i adjust to this new life’ dialogue next week. Oh and some more general secrets, from this stylist.

PS Come to our twitter party during the premiere Saturday night, at 9pm. Use hashtag #HGTV to join in.

Design Inspiration

1. Louis Quinze says:

Why on earth would one cover beautiful side windows with linen drapes? The incredible windows MADE the room. Curved sofa would have made this more cozy. Nice fireplace treatment.
    Emily, you've got to stop wiggling your feet and pretending everyone is back in junior high school when you speak.

2. Danny says:

I hope this show improves quickly. This was not the best episode to lead with. In the end, the elements of the room didn't tie together, and I think the host was simply trying too hard to be different. Maybe she'll settle down and start showing some true design sensitivities.

• laura fugate says:

I completely agree! I was so looking forward to seeing this new show – and it was a
      disappointment. Maybe if Emily could lose the valley girl thing and possibly try a voice coach!
      I was so ready to like this show and will stay with it – for a while. She promises that future
      shows are way better…here's hoping!!

3. silverfox says:

doesn't do a thing for me. Don't get doing a complete room 2 different times??????? weird to me.

4. Krishann says:

Emily you did an awesome job! I wonder if people forget "design stars" are human too? This was your FIRST episode working with new clients and frankly it was fabulous darling :) You allowed viewers a chance to see you and YOU rock! You are a lovely talented person and hillarious! Your designs are awesome and since you do two styles we all get a two-fer right?!:) I know with each episode your personality will continue to shine. Take a deep breath! You did it. Now on to many more weeks of secret sharing and awesome designs!

5. Catherine says:

I totally agree with Krishann! Your show packs a lot into 30 minutes, and its fun to see the possibilities with two reveals. I would love to see more of your design assistant and maybe some of the tribulations of preparing two looks in one week, week after week. Kudos!

6. Jenny B says:

If you look on the web (and not the HGTV site) you will see how much people really LOVED the show! I feel like the show is my new addiction, I really can't wait until next week to see the next one, and in the mean time I will be watching this episode again! My husband and I were constantly commenting, involved and interested in every aspect of the show. LOVE your style, Emily, and your personality is so cute, funny, confident and authentic. Loved that it seemed like you really got the homeowner's true reactions, not just canned "I LOVE IT'. By far the best show on HGTV, just wish it were an hour. I know HGTV got some new viewers with this show.

7. pam says:

Emily, you gave us a two-fer in the show, much like the beer stein. Was that planned? It is a great new twist on a home decorating show and will keep my interest.

8. Sara says:

Hi Emily,
    I love your style and I'm really excited about this show…It's inspiring me to try to shine up my current rental space! I have a question about the TV cabinet that you used for the final design. Where did you get it? Did it come ready to mount a television or did you have to do that? I really want to get rid of the ugly black box in our living room! any suggestions on where to get cool TV cover-ups?

9. Josh says:

She sounds like Kermit the Frog. Who's the hottie mute that was helping her out? That was weird.