Ah. The first episode of my brand spankin new show, Secrets From a Stylist. (The launch is saturday at 9pm. 1 day and counting, geez. And the official title of my first episode?… Hollywood Regency Meets Country Club). It’s like the first day of high school. I remember it like it was yesterday, but I feel like I’ve grown up a lot already by the second semester, er 10th episode. The first week EVERYBODY was trying to figure out their roles; what were our strengths, weaknesses, and the general crazy timing of it all. And don’t forget while i’m styling and hosting each episode, i’m still working on the next four to six designs, so i was having a blast, but was kinda also doing the first week of training for the mental olympics, well my version of it anyway. But the first week, like freshman year, was full of excitement, anxiety and total madness. And it all begins with the style diagnostic…..

Me, Hillary and Bobby

So here’s a secret: Yes, i have met with the clients before the first day of shooting. I have to plan major pieces of furniture so there is a general design plan and order to the week. BUT, The Style Diagnostic is real, people. Trust. And every single week things come out in it that throw me off and force serious changes that make the episode interesting for all of us. And this week is no exception.

The Living Room...Before. Gotta Tune In To See The After, Tho.

I have hopes and predictions of what their styles answers are, and sometimes their answers are as hoped and predicted, and sometimes i end up learning new things about the clients each week, in real time. So with Hillary and Bobby they chose the fabrics that made sense, but then they both reached for the weird beer stein that said more ‘mid-evil party animal’, than the Hollywood Regency and Country Club Chic that i had in mind. But after a long conversation on why they chose that instead of the gold filligreed wine glass or the heavy manly rocks glass, it came out that what they loved about it was that it was a ‘two-fer’. Huh.

What is a two-fer you ask (as i did)? Well its something that has a double function. Hillary said that Bobby’s dream chair would also be a waffle maker. Gadget furniture, basically. It makes him happy, it makes him smile and so my prediction of serious and conservative is sent walking. Turns out he is whimsical as well. And while the gadgety stein isn’t actually a two-fer, it was a glass with a toy on top, with a fun gadget. So when you watch the style diagnostic which last about 2 minutes and 30 seconds of air time, know that the entire diagnostic actually takes about 45 minutes and includes many explanations, follow up questions and a lot of laughing. Believe me, A LOT of laughing, at me, with me and, well, at me.

Come back for more behind the scenes, random facts, resources and general ‘how did i adjust to this new life’ dialogue next week. Oh and some more general secrets, from this stylist.

PS Come to our twitter party during the premiere Saturday night, at 9pm. Use hashtag #HGTV to join in.

Design Inspiration

1. Helpmefind says:

I am(was) a huge fan of HGTV and my favorite show was Design Star. I still love Color Splash. I got to sleep with design star on when I go to bed and I am watching it now. I pulled up the website and Emily's show and just learned that the age to get on design star is 25-45. I am 52. So I am too old to be considered to get a home makeover? Seriously? How discrimatory? Off with the TV,off with the web page. I will never watch HGTV again,

• b bernadette says:

I totally agree- age discrimination! as though style is limited to a certain age group…why we all know what age group has the most disposable income!

• Kelsey says:

Because you can't get a home makeover your hating on HGTV? Complete stupidity. Maybe all that time watching Color Splash should have taught you enough to makeover your own home. Isn't that the idea of HGTV? To INSPIRE people? Why would you completely rely on one person to fix your house when you could do it on your own? I personally don't watch Emily's show hoping she would come help me. Instead, I LISTEN to her advice and LEARN how to improve my home by myself. Think of it as a classroom instead of a lottery ticket. Have fun not watching HGTV. You will be missing out on some truly inspiring and amazing room transformations.

2. Joanne says:

Wasn't a big fan when Emily won Design Star, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt and watched her show. The first episode wasn't anything to write home about. Don't really understand the concept. …like everyone has money and time to create 2 looks! Why doesn't she just get a crystal ball so she doesn't have to waste time with her style diagnostics. Think that this is the worst show ever. DIY Mega Dens is soooo much better.

3. Bonnie says:

I don't understand this show… Much better shows to air in this time slot than this. Where is Sara's Place?:(

4. Penny says:

I desperately want to watch this show but I cannot handle Emily's voice and the way she "valley" talks, making each statement into a question. PLEASE see a voice coach and improve your speaking presence!

5. Nicky Turner says:

This is my first time watching the show; and so far i like it. It appears the HOST "Emily" really listens and tries to find your style. I know we don't live in LA anymore but; if you could PLEASE send her here to us in Charlotte, NC. Ohh, my how we need help; we have been in our NEW home now for 3 years and our bedroom is a pure Blank Boring Canvas's. We really, really need Emily's help!!!!!!

6. Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your content seem to

be running off the screen in Opera. I’m not sure

if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought

I’d post to let you know. The style and design look great though!

Hope you get the problem solved soon. Thanks

7. Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am
    a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; we have created some nice procedures and we are
    looking to exchange methods with others, why not shoot me an e-mail if interested.

8. Greetings! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out
    and tell you I genuinely enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you recommend
    any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same topics?
    Appreciate it!

9. Terrific. That was super educational. Simply needed to say thank you…
    Looking forward to the next good article.
    ( Please post faster ha-ha)

Stop by my web site; luke bryan concert tour Dates (http://lukebryantickets.neodga.com)

10. Whats up are using WordPress for your blog platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you need any coding
    expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!