Looking for something to pretty up your space? How about a big, beautiful mirror? I’m a fan of bold mirrors, especially in small spaces. Over a mantle or behind the sofa, they add another dimension, making your space look bigger. And with so many different types to choose from, from porcupine quill mirrors to inlaid mother-of-pearl, mirrors are the perfect way to accessorize at home. Just look at how interior designer Palmer Weiss uses this gold rococo style frame to add some glam style to this dining room buffet.

Palmer Weiss

Mirrors with a rich patina have an antique feel to them. Over a mantle this octagon frame would be absolutely stunning.

Wisteria, Italian Octagon Mirror

For a more luxe look, this knotted mirror will certainly do the trick. I love the rich mix of black and gold.

Horchow, Knot Mirror

A simple black and white color palette can be elevated with a fantastic handmade piece. Featuring West African love birds at the crown, this mirror is stunning, inlaid with over 1,000 pieces of mother-of-pearl.

Wisteria, Inlaid Mother-Of-Pearl Bird Mirror

Have you ever thought about decorating with porcupine quills? Well, there are no real quills here, but instead an artfully painted piece meant to mimic the quills of a porcupine. Completely original and fun, this mirror is worth saving up for.

Horchow, “Porcupine Quill” Mirror

PS Janell Beals of Isabella & Max rooms shows how to make a sunburst mirror. It’s easier than you think!

Design Inspiration

1. pixelecho69 says:

Wow ! Love love Love those mirrors can't makeup my mind, but I think the Porcupine Quill is my favorite no wait the knot mirror ! oh no I like them all !

2. Christopher Kandrat says:

I'd have to say the knot mirror is my fav. Black and gold are some of my favorite colors.

3. Tonia says:

I seriously can't imagine a home without mirrors. The first one is my favorite.

4. Anna@HGTV says:

I like the Palmer Weiss the best. I'm utterly intrigued by the Porcupine Quill mirror, but trying to figure out how one would dust it. Maybe with pressured air.

• Jeanine Hays says:

Interesting Anna. Pressured air might be the way to go, or maybe a little spray bottle would work to remove any dust from it. I just love the fantastic look of it!

5. Anna@HGTV says:

Ok, get this. You can buy a lot of 50 porcupine quills on ebay for about $30. Combine that with HGTV.com's DIY how-to on making a sunburst mirror which calls for 150 twigs…plus a pair of rugged work gloves…and voila! You've made a super neat porcupine quill burst mirror! http://www.hgtv.com/living-rooms/create-a-sunburs
    (I hope those porcupine quills on ebay were acquired ethically, and there's not a sad, naked, suffering porcupine somewhere.)

6. Jennifer says:

I decided to do a DIY version of the Porcupine Mirror here……take a peek
    . <a href="http://.http://pinkybrowninc.blogspot.com/2011/03/to-layer-or-not-to-layer.html” target=”_blank”>.http://pinkybrowninc.blogspot.com/2011/03/to-layer-or-not-to-layer.html
    I then decided to layer it over another mirror for extra impact.
    Best,