I ask because I’m wondering if there are others like me who are as passionately (my spouse would say maniacally) committed to an annual deep spring cleaning? In my home, by the end of the three-day weekend, I’ve usually gone through about 200 Q-tips, 3 gallons of vinegar and have dropped off a large donation of gently-used items to a charity.
I would LOVE to hear about your spring cleaning to-do list and tips!
ANNA’S SPRING CLEANING CHECKLIST:
- Pour boiling water down all sinks
- Run the washing machine with only vinegar added
- Move all large appliances and large pieces of furniture for vacuuming and mopping (and removal of dreaded dog hair dust bunnies)
- Wipe down all small kitchen appliances, including the power cords (you’ll be surprised what you’ll find stuck on the cord of your mixer)
- Wash all dog beds and refresh with cedar chips
- Take down all hanging art, mirrors and picture frames, dust and dust picture rails
- Wash baseboards throughout house
- Q-tip clean all corners and crevices (around sinks, faucets, light switch plates, doorways, etc.)
- Per HGTV.com’s Help Around the Home: swap out high wattage bulbs for energy-efficient 3-way bulbs
- Take all books off bookshelves, dust and downsize
- Take all rugs outside and beat them
- Use peroxide to whiten porcelain in the cast iron clawfoot tub
- Give all indoor plants a bath
- Dust all light fixtures and ceiling fans, reverse direction on ceiling fans for spring
- Downsize, donate and pack up winter bedding and clothes with tons of bay leaves
- Wash and bleach the white cloth shower curtain, window curtains, mattress pad and bed skirt
- Remove everything from the refrigerator, freezer and pantry, wash top to bottom, return only what’s fresh along with new boxes of baking soda
- Empty the linen closet, kitchen and bathroom cabinets, dust, downsize, return only what’s needed
- Replace all spices with new ones from the international farmer’s market
- Clean the vacuum cleaner
- Buy a new broom for good luck, make the broom from this year’s spring cleaning the outdoor broom
- Buy a new front door mat, move old one to the back door
Go get pizza and beer. And celebrate because for a few days, maybe a week, my home is truly spotless!!!
Next week, the outside of the house and the cars…
For HGTV.com’s official, printable Spring Cleaning Checklist, click here.