Featured

King cake is so evocative of Mardi Gras for me, that I thought I’d use it as design inspiration today.

king cake
The New Orleans-style dessert cake is topped with the three traditional colors of Mardi Gras: green, yellow and purple. So in honor of this delicious galette des Rois, here are some of my favorite Mardi Gras-colored rooms.

Dreamy Green

First up is this green and white master bedroom from the 2009 Dream Home. It manages to be elegant, classic and freshly modern all at the same time.

green master bedroom

Luscious Yellow

One of my all-time favorite wallpapers is Design Happens own Jeannine Hays’ AfroChic line in Haze. It’s so rich and vibrant but can act as a neutral  against dark wood, reds, greens, purples and blues.

yellow aphrochic haze wallpaper

Royal Purple

I saved my favorite for last, the royal purple. Admittedly, this has been one of my favorite colors my whole life. My mother even claims that my first word was purple. If I had seen a gorgeous, deep purple like the one on this wall, I have no doubt I would be inspired to speak.

purple living room wall

If the King Cake pictured at the top looks delicious, visit Food Network for the recipe, plus tons of other traditional New Orleans dishes. To get you even more in the mood for Mardi Gras, check out Travel Channel’s official tour.

Design Inspiration

1. Michelle Cope says:

mmmmmmm…. looks SO tasty!!! The colors are beautiful! It would definitely top off our lasagna dinner tonight!

2. HGTV_Kelley says:

Man, I love that purple room.

3. Amy PureHome says:

I LOVE the green room. Who would've thought that color would look so good on the ceiling?

4. Brianna says:

Those rooms are so cool. Who knew that you could use color like that.

5. Kayla@HGTV says:

The green master bedroom is one of my favorite rooms from HGTV Dream Homes past. The color is so luscious!

6. Elena M says:

I agree with Brianna that all those room are very very nice. I wish I could have at least one like that in the house. Unfortunately, nobody from HGTV comes to Kentucky! But we need help here too.

7. I wanted to follow up and let you know how , a great deal I appreciated discovering your website today. I might consider it an honor to operate at my place of work and be able to operate on the tips provided on your site and also get involved in visitors’ responses like this. Should a position of guest writer become available at your end, please let me know.