Springtime in Atlanta, my hometown, is colorful. The red buds, dogwoods, azaleas and spring bulbs are bursting forth with color. And soon a fine dusting of yellow pollen will coat everything. But it’s nothing like the welcoming of spring in India.

Festival of Color - Celebrating Holi in India - UPI

UPI/photographer Maryam Rahmanian

On March 21st, Hindu devotees in India filled the streets to celebrate the annual Festival of Color, or Holi Festival. As you can tell from these pictures, the country literally explodes in color. According to the Travel Channel, “the birth of spring is marked with color, and people embrace this by dressing in vibrant clothes and throwing colored powder at each other.”

Just looking at these photos from the UPI fills me with joy. Happy spring! Let’s celebrate with lots of bright, beautiful color.

1. Jeena says:

So nostalgic! I miss home. The indian community all over the US also celebrate Holi. I take my 6 years old daughter every year and she loves it. I really enjoyed the holi photos. Thank you.

• Anna says:

Yes, I saw an article in the New York Times about Holi celebrations being held in Brooklyn. And I bet there was a big gathering in my hometown, Atlanta. Glad you enjoyed the photos!

2. Price Smith says:

I love the rich colors in these photos!! Looks like a very special event for this culture.

3. fxgeorges says:

Hey that looked like so much fun! You actually looked like Carrie there for a minute when you had the water dumped on you lol. I'm excited to see the next photos and to see Helen without all the dye on her! lol

4. Amy PureHome says:

The colors are amazing in the photos! I've heard such great stories from friends and family members about Holi in India. I would LOVE to go one year and be a part of such a great cultural celebration.

5. Aimee says:

We actually have a local celebration of Holi here this weekend. It's so colorful, and so much fun! I can only imagine what it must be like to celebrate it in India!

6. Anita-Comfyheaven says:

love the last image, the blue and yellow are so striking!