Recently, I became aware of something magical and amazing I’d previously labeled as tacky or silly—online art. I guess it’s due to the fact that the term makes me think that the art was actually created online; however, it simply means you can purchase it online. Well, who the hell cares where you bought it, if it’s gorg, right? Since I’ve officially purchased and installed pieces from the Web for my clients and for TV makeovers, it seems appropriate to share with you fine people two successful sources. Take a gander at the pretties I’ve either used or had my eye on, then fill us in on any art sites you’ve happily discovered or spent some serious time—or cold hard cash—on. Oh, did I mention that online art is often uber-affordable? Well, it is. And while I am a huge fan of art, I’m an even larger fan of money—specifically not spending it.

First up, ArtThatFits.com (aka “Artaissance”).

Online Art

Mother Child, Butch, Birds by Jonathan Adler

I was introduced to Artaissance by a magazine editor friend. Then I felt really behind the times when I learned HGTV.com’s Design Happens did a sweet giveaway with Artaissance last May. Where has this been all my life? The site has a huge variety of styles from impressionism to pop to photography. I’ve turned to their Jonathan Adler and Biltmore collections more than anything else.

Online Art

Classical Sofa, Biltmore Collection

Once framed, these pieces look like they were scored at a you-must-have-spent-so-much-money-on-that type of gallery, rather than a monitor-and-keyboard situation. As if that weren’t enough, the customer service, should you need to speak with a human, is top notch.

Then there’s Ugallery. What’s the name all about? Thanks for asking. It’s all student art, hence the “U” for university. What is so extra delicious about this is the fact that you’re getting one-of-a-kind pieces from emerging artists at a fraction of what you’d be paying years later once their fine work makes it into galleries. (Can you imagine how cool it would have been to have scored some Warhols when they were considered “student Andy” work? Amazing.)

Online Art

The Dance by Krispen Spencer

I’m particularly drawn to the work of Krispen Spencer, Jim Zwadlo and Ryan Pickart. Every Thursday at 1pm EST, new art hits the Ugallery site. Act fast, and you can swipe something stellar at a steal before other vulture-like art lovers like me get a hold of it.

Online Art

Crosswalkers 280 by Jim Zwadlo

Online Art

Guinevere by Ryan Pickart

Now, here’s the part where you fill us in on your experiences with online art. All good? Some not-so-good? In addition to ArtThatFits and Ugallery, what are some other sites we should all be checking regularly?

Accessories, Art

1. Rachael says:

I sell my art and custom watercolor portraits online! <a href="http://www.rachaelrossman.com” target=”_blank”>www.rachaelrossman.com

2. Anna@HGTV says:

Family friend and trusted source for antique prints and rare maps: <a href="http://www.printsoldandrare.com” target=”_blank”>www.printsoldandrare.com
    Selling genuine antique maps, prints, books and ephemera for over 30 years.

3. Paula KErns says:

Glad someone likes this art, as I would not have it hanging in my house. I'm not a fad person and I am a old time Southern Lady. Not is old in age but have lived in Fl. all my life and HGTV doesn't like the small southern towns or Northwest FL at all. My husband and I watch HGTV as one of our favorite channels but have never seen our part of the south on any of the shows. Why? I know most people think of us as lower Al but I have't seen very few of the southern states on HGTV either. North isn't always better.
    Fl watcher.

4. Jay Archer says:

The internet is a great source of free Art and cheap downloads. I am a Muralist in the state of Florida and many times I will turn to the Web for chosen Inspiration and project the selected piece on the Wall with the aid of a projector to show the client a preview of the finished work. Jay Archer Dunedin FL.

5. Charly says:

Another great online gallery is <a href="http://www.reignofart.com” target=”_blank”>www.reignofart.com – they feature emerging artists from europe at a fraction of gallery prices. Check out their artists!

6. Cobalt Blue Artistry says:

We are a new online gallery selling only original works of art. We are currently specializing in paintings and artistic furniture, but looking to expand to other types. So if you are an artist looking for a place to list your work, or looking to buy, check us out at http://www.cobaltblueartistry.com.