OK folks, honest opinions wanted. What do you think of the pouf?

poufs

My feelings keep fluctuating on this little piece of furniture. At times, I’m gaga for Moroccan metallic poufs or the large-gauge knit poufs. But at other times I feel like it might just get underfoot and take up too much space. So I come to you all for your opinions. Yay or nay on the pouf?

Design Inspiration

1. Ming says:

Not a big fan of the pouf, metallic or otherwise. Look like they'd collect pet hairs and like they're one of the dog's toys.

2. heather says:

DDepends on the setting, I like it here, it's a foot stool, super cute.

3. desingergirly88 says:

I really like the pouf, I think it looks good in that setting. But it won't look that good in every place you put it.

4. CplusE says:

I have to give poufs a cautious "yay", especially after I saw this colorful square puffball pouf:

As mentioned by Ming, they would be dust and pet hair collectors, so I think I would only have one as an interesting accent in a pet-free zone!

5. Kelly says:

It looks like a knit hat – something that belongs cozily nestled on a head, not on the floor.

6. Sandra says:

I have that gray poof… multi-functional as a footstool or extra seat and it is small enough to tuck under a table… love it

7. Cy says:

Don't love the knitted pouf,like most people commented it is too hard to keep clean.The color is great. The leather poufs a definate yes!

8. Not my favorite design element. I would rather have a good looking ottoman, something with a little more structure.

9. Baily says:

I like the square version. The round doesn't seem functional. I think they'd be handy and could look cool with a smaller chair that isn't used constantly, like in a bedroom or tucked in a corner.

10. Krista says:

I was watching Part 2 of the newest version of the PBS show Upstairs/Downstairs and they made reference to the youngest maid giving up her chair with the suggestion that she could 'sit on the pouf'.

The setting for the show is circa 1938. I found this interesting because I somehow thought of the pouf as a recent design trend. It never occured to me that the pouf was nothing new AND that it might have had a place in such lowly circumstances as the leisure area of the servants quarters in a fancy townhouse in London.

If this reference is accurate and the pouf has been around for a while, I think that speaks to your question of whether it's a good idea or not. If the pouf has been around for decades (possibly longer) then it has stood the test of time. I see it as providing a useful and unobtrusive piece of furniture that can provide valuable extra seating. For example, whenever your youngest maid needs a place to sit. :-)