Back in college, I was so broke that I didn’t even have a phone. Always a month or two behind on car payments, I’d park my shiny, red 2-door Honda Civic a few blocks away to avoid repossession. While being penniless sucked really bad, I made the most of it, even managing to fully design my apartment complete with a good-looking, comfy sofa. In fact, no matter what my financial position has been, I’ve always gone without certain things — some important and some not — to be able to afford great seating.

Sure, those two-paychecks-away-from-living-in-a-tent days are long behind me; however, I still have a financial threshold for how much I’ll spend on a sofa: $2500. Whether it’s recovering a vintage piece or buying something brand-spanking-new, I find this to be the magic number. To prove my point, here are five fantastic sofas all $2500 or less. But enough about me, let’s talk about you. What’s the maximum amount of money you’d spend on a sofa and why? HGTV Design Happens - IKEA KIVIK Sofa
When I saw the price tag on the L-shaped KIVIK sofa from IKEA, I thought someone was punking me with a price tag switcheroo. At only $698, the low-profile, modern maven comes in 10 different colors: white, bright red, dark blue, light beige, light gray, black, light brown, dark brown, gray-brown and rust.

HGTV Design Happens - Crate and Barrel Azure Sofa At $1799, the tufted Azure Sofa from Crate & Barrel blends classic elegance with transitional touches such as hardwood legs with a walnut finish. Pictured above in Wysteria, a more feminine tone, it also comes in gender neutral and masculine shades including: sky, natural, apple, steel, espresso and bran.

HGTV Design Happens - Jayson Home and Garden Hazel Sofa Everything Jayson Home & Garden sells looks as though it would be priced double what it actually is, especially their sofas. The Hazel Sofa, $2395, is traditional enough to please those who love all things safe; however, it’s timeless, streamlined style will mix beautifully with modern counterparts.

HGTV Design Happens - Wisteria Louis XV Salon SofaIf you’re looking for a touch of antiquity, the Louis XV Salon Sofa from Wisteria may be right up your alley. The handsome European piece is handmade of mango wood and upholstered in a handsome cotton fabric. Aside from being classic, he’s deliciously priced at $1599.

HGTV Design Happens - Room and Board Wells SofaThe Wells Sofa from Room & Board will make any mid-century modernist both comfy and on budget. At $2399, the low-profile, Knoll-esque three-seater sports modern tufts and classic, mid-century legs.

1. nancy says:

My max is about 800, why, we live paycheck to paycheck and saving even this small amount is very difficult in fact our furniture is about 25 years old. would be so nice to be able to have a room done over but just getting by is what usually happens. The last piece we bought was our bed 5 years ago. Now saving for curtains.

2. Amy says:

I'm with Brian – good seating is a must. Even when I probably shouldn't have paid $3000 for a couch, I skrimped and saved to get the one that I wanted and that I knew would last. I definitely still get crap from my friends, but they aren't going to tell you that my couch isn't the comfiest!

3. Whitney J says:

My favorite is of the five that you have chosen is the Ikea sofa. Actually the reason why my living room is dressed with two living chairs, is because I want to get a great sofa for a really good price. I really wanted to get that Ikea sofa, but I am afraid it's too short. Being a 5'10" female, it isn't comfortable for the back of a sofa to just reach my lower back. With all that being said, I am still searching. The most that I would pay for a sofa is $1500.

• carole says:

I totally agree with your pricing. I probably wouldnt even pay that much. One of my sofas gets no use and the other gets used alot. So its nice to have a sofa that lasts, no matter the price and one i dont feel guilty getting rid of once it has "seen better days". $2500! Thats not realistic for many, many people.

4. Kaelyn-shay says:

i agree with that price range. $1,500 is not only a perfect getaway but you can always fix it up, take off the fabric and make it a totally new, clean, non-cheap looking couch. Also my favorite out of the five sofas would be as well the ikea sofa.

5. Monica says:

I recently bought a nice linen wingback sofa from ABC Carpet and Furniture warehouse store for about $1,200. I believe the reg price was at least double the amount I paid. I am getting it delivered this Saturday.
    Can't wait! can't wait to scotchguard it too.

6. Doug says:

I don't know who approves the photos for these sofas in their respective companies, but I would not pay $2395 for that Hazel Sofa on account of that picture alone. The front deck looks completely lumpy and the pleats at the bottom of the arms are horrid. Take a lesson from Ikea and invest $5000 in the piece that's gonna be photographed and white wash it out.