I like a good margarita on Cinco de Mayo (on the rocks with salt) and some homemade guacamole. (Jump to the end of the post for recipes.) I’m also one of those geeky types always reading, always looking to learn more about anything. So in researching this post, I got to thinking about traditional Mexican crafts. Because Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican army’s triumph at the Battle of Puebla, here’s at look at the #1 craft associated with the city and state of Puebla: talavera ceramics.

HGTV - Design Happens - Cinco de Mayo - Talavera - Puebla, Mexicoflickr: photoholics – Talavera in Puebla, Mexico

This article by Rita Pomade from Mexconnect offers the best overview of this 400-year-old craft. My top takeaway — the Consejo Regulador de la Talavera is the official group that monitors the authenticity of talavera. So, if you truly want to collect this pottery, only buy from certified workshops. All the images I selected for this post feature pieces by these approved artisans. Some have online stores, others you’ll have to travel to Puebla to purchase. And what better time to travel there than for Cinco de Mayo.

HGTV - Design Happens - Cinco de Mayo - Talavera - Puebla, Mexicoflickr: aliciamoyas – Talavera Cesar Torres

HGTV - Design Happens - Cinco de Mayo - Talavera - Puebla, MexicoTalavera de las Americas

HGTV - Design Happens - Cinco de Mayo - Talavera - Puebla, MexicoTalavera Santa Catarina partner IDI Talavera Collection

HGTV - Design Happens - Cinco de Mayo - Talavera - Puebla, MexicoUriarte Talavera

By the way, if you’re looking to plan a muy bueno feast for your May 5th celebration, our sister site FoodNetwork.com has got you covered.

¡Cinco feliz de Mayonesa!

Handmade, World

1. buy my car says:

Wow what a lovely crafts you made such a innovative items.It is really appreciable work done you commendable job done by you.buy my car

2. Juanita says:

I love and honestly this is exactly what I am looking for in my new home. These types of decorations. I live in the Midwest and no one has anything like this. I want my home to be unique. where or where would I be able to purchase these items. Please hlep me. Much appreciated. HELP ME PLEASE. make my dream come true. I am 63 years old and this is my very first home we own.

3. Anna@HGTV says:

Hi Juanita –
    If authenticity for collecting purposes is important to you, stick to the links I included under the photos in my post. Some of those workshops sell online.
    If you want to assemble a casual collection and save money, here are some suggested resources:
    -search talavera as a keyword on ETSY.com (handmade and vintage sections)
    -we are fans of The Global Trunk: <a href="http://www.loadedtrunk.com” target=”_blank”>www.loadedtrunk.com
    -Replacements Ltd had pieces: http://search.replacements.com/texis/search?order
    -sometimes Pier 1 has pieces in this style

These are websites I found online, but I cannot personally recommend them, as I've have had no direct experience with them. Verify "lead-free" if you would use these for eating or drinking.
    <a href="http://www.talaveraemporium.com” target=”_blank”>www.talaveraemporium.com <a href="http://www.lafuente.com/Mexican-Decor/Talavera-Pottery/” target=”_blank”>www.lafuente.com/Mexican-Decor/Talavera-Pottery/ <a href="http://www.cosasbonitasoregon.bigcartel.com” target=”_blank”>www.cosasbonitasoregon.bigcartel.com

Fair Trade Options: <a href="http://www.globalexchangestore.org” target=”_blank”>www.globalexchangestore.org <a href="http://www.globalgoodspartners.org” target=”_blank”>www.globalgoodspartners.org

4. Theresa says:

Love, love, love the pottery water feature!

5. bethevenson says:

I love blue!! These are gorgeous! I have a collection of blue mix match dishes given to me by my mother. They are on my blog. It is great to see hand made beauty!

6. zacbrrownn says:

This is awesome crafts made by you.It is looks so gorgeous.You made commendable craft it gives our home different look.Blue color looks so nice it is admirable art and creativity.
    learn spanish free

7. ナルト、大本営予備ヲ保持シアル等ニ依リ十分対処シ得ルモノト考ヘマス。(『井本日記』)[#ここで字下げ終わり]南方軍の統帥発動はこの十一月十五日であった。御前兵棋終了直後、杉山参謀総長は南方軍に対する南方要域攻略命令発令の

8. そのまま放置され、急性アルコール中毒に起因する呼吸不全で死亡した両親側は「サークルは過去3年間に2度も急性アルコール中毒患者を出しており、大学には事故を未然に防止して、の生命を守るべき義務があった」と主張一方、愛知学院大は「届け出がない任意の団体で起きた事故なので指導はできず、大学に責任はない」としている飲酒の強要をめぐっては、神戸学院大2年の男子が08年、部活の合宿中に死亡し、両親が大学と部員20人に損害賠償を求めて神戸地裁に提訴地裁が「心理的に飲まざるを得ない圧力をかけた」との見解を示し、昨年に和解が成立した。 これが当社最大の強みであり、最強のノウハウであると考えています。

9. En Afrique, on trouve 茅galement dans une ethnie au Cameroun une cordelette de protection attach茅e 脿 la ceinture. Elle contient des plantes protectrices, les ongles de la future maman, une touffe de ses cheveux, des poils de ses aisselles et de son pubis et un peu de sueur. A Madagascar, les femmes enceintes de six mois 茅loignent le danger en se purifiant de leurs fautes : c’est l’homme le plus 芒g茅 de la famille qui crache de l’eau sur la future maman.