Do you remember back in the 80s the popularity of basket parties? My mother would invite over a bunch of girlfriends, and they would purchase bread baskets that would line our kitchen walls. While they were well crafted, the style was pretty country kitsch. Now the basket trend has returned but in a new and sophisticated way that celebrates the beauty of global design and bold graphics.

HGTV Design Happens - VT Wonen - Baskets as Wall Decor

VT Wonen

I think the fun of decorating with baskets is exploring the amazing variety. Whether your focused is on color or graphic design, you can choose baskets from countries like Rwanda, Ghana or Zambia to start your own one-of-a-kind collection.

HGTV Design Happens - Elle Decor - Baskets as Wall Decor

Elle Decor

Mixing and matching baskets in a neutral shade can create an over-the-top focal point.

HGTV Design Happens - The Bootstrap Project - Baskets as Wall Decor

The Bootstrap Project

These pieces from the Bootstrap Project are absolutely gorgeous and affordable. The chevron design is so contemporary and on trend. (The Bootstrap Project supports artisans in third world countries and promotes centuries-old crafts.)

HGTV Design Happens - West Elm - Baskets as Wall Decor

West Elm

West Elm is another place to find baskets to hang as wall decor. The size of their Ikat and Spiral baskets are grand and make quite an impact.

HGTV Design Happens - Living Etc. - Baskets as Wall Decor

Living Etc.

Baskets like those from the Macy’s Rwanda Path To Peace project help to support the artisans who craft these handmade works of art. The baskets make a gorgeous addition over a dining room buffet or mantel.

1. Jeanine Hays says:

I would definitely suggest creating this wallscape with a collection of baskets that you love. The Rwanda baskets are a great place to start. They are well-made and come in a number of colorways.

2. iHATEdusting says:

Oh, my. Whenever I see something like this I think, "Fine for someone else but I am not dusting all of that." Between allergies and asthma, which a lot of people have, could you come up with ideas that are pretty and varied, not flat and not dusty?

3. Debbie says:

Baskets as wall decor were popular in the late 70's and the 80's.

4. Eric says:

You say these things are trends, but from where? It seems like you are trying to make trends. Why not create some new ones? Baskets and watercolor prints are probably big with your editors only.

5. Sherrie Lambaren says:

I had a HOME basket party business in the 1970's . It's 40 years later and I am still hanging baskets .
    New trend I don't think so.

6. Terry Braun says:

Anyone know where the wall baskets on Design Star's last challenge were purchased? Thought it was West Elm, but don't see them there. Will truly appreciate your help.

Terry

7. Pam says:

What is the best way to hang the baskets so as not to damage them?

8. paddy says:

You're so awesome! I don't believe I've read anything like this before. So nice to discover someone with some unique thoughts on this topic. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This web site is one thing that is required on the web, someone with a little originality! http://lagaleriedepaddy.com/goldads/cat/wall-art-

9. I have been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never
    found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty
    worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made
    good content as you did, the net will be a lot more useful than ever
    before.