Window treatments can make or break a room…

Roller shades in our kitchen keep the look modern and fresh. HGTV Design Happens - designer Erin Loechner - kohler sink

Roller shades in our kitchen keep the look modern and fresh.

…and there’s nothing that can feel more unfinished in a space than a bare window. Yet with copious amounts of options (shades! draperies! panels!) how do you know what to pick for your space? Here’s the four things I keep in mind, and you can use as guidelines, when planning window treatments…along with a sneak peek of what we chose in our own home!

Choosing The Right Window Treatments

1. Consider the room’s purpose.

Throw away the misconception that window treatments should match throughout the home. Different rooms serve different purposes, which means they each require different dressings. For example, I like to use heavy draperies in media rooms and/or basements because the sound-deadening quality makes a huge difference when watching the latest flick on your sofa. Yet in bedrooms, I often opt for a blackout shade with sheer panels for a soft, romantic and relaxing aesthetic.
Hint: Not sure what’s available? Head over to HGTV’s guide to window treatments for a list of options, sure to fit your every style and budget.

A sliding glass door in our living room is dressed up with modern panels from The Shade Store. HGTV Design Happens - designer Erin Loechner - living room

2. Figure out the window’s main function.
Will you be utilizing your window for a cross-breeze, as a source for natural light or for a marvelous view? I like to use non-fussy roller shades that are as seamless as they are functional for windows that will be accessed heavily.
Hint: For sliding glass doors, try modern panels. (We found ours at The Shade Store, and installation couldn’t have been easier!)

3. Keep in mind privacy.
In any bedroom and/or bathroom, I always splurge on a privacy lining. If you’re a light sleeper, you may want to also invest in blackout/privacy lining. Whatever you decide, be sure the window treatments you pick keep your home private, comfortable and at ease from the outside world.
Hint: Want to fancy up a private space? Try window films!

A modern panel track system (also from The Shade Store) in our dining room. HGTV Design Happens - designer Erin Loechner - dining room

A modern panel track system (also from The Shade Store) keeps our dining room bright and private.

4. Think decor.
Lastly (but certainly not least!), think of your window treatments as the cherry on top of your well-designed ice cream sundae. Try patterned panels to take an already-lovely room to the next level, or go glam with metallic textures. Because I like to switch my decor each season, I like to use a light, airy pattern in the summer and a heavy tweed in the winter. Find what works best for you, and go for it!
Hint: Not sure where to start? Perhaps a chevron?

What about you, friends? Any tried-and-true tips for choosing window treatments? I’d love to hear your thoughts below!

1. Rday19 says:

I like a nice honeycomb pleated shade, so that i get both room darkening and able to open to get the view out my window. And it's also gives me additional heating and cooling benefits.

2. [...] via: Design for Mankind: How Do You Choose Window Treatments? Here’s 4 Helpful Tips Category: Design Tags: Choose, Design, Helpful, Here’s, Mankind, Tips, Treatments, [...]

3. christiepdc says:

Remembering privacy is definitely important. I was going for romance in the bedroom and put up some lovely sheers. Unfortunately, our bedroom window is right off the parking lot at our Condo. That treatment didn't last long.

4. QUIETTRA says:

QUIETTRA OH HGTV I JUST LOVE ALL YOUR IDEAS LIKE THAT PRETTY CURTIENS TO BRING OUT TH WINDOW WATCH YOUR SHOW EVERY NIGHT AT WORK ALL THE WAY DOWN FROM BUYING HOMES TO FIXING THEM UP I ALWAYS WANTED TO SELLS HOUSES BUT ECONMY IS SO BD I NEED A JOB THAT WILL BRING IN A PAY EVERY TWO WEEKS FOR ME AND MY FAMILY. ANY WA WHEN I WACTH YOUR SHOW IT PUTS ME IN ANOTHER WORLDI JUST LOVE IT I TELL PEOPLE ABOUT THIS SHOW ALL THE TIME. IT GIVES ME GREAT IDEAS AND SOME TIME I FEEL LKE A PART OF THE TEAM THANKS HGTV .

• Anna@HGTV says:

So glad to hear about how HGTV brightens your day! (I too have longed to buy houses, fix them up and sell them. Maybe someday.) And that you enjoy the blog!

5. There are so many beautiful window blinds and shades. It is always nice to also do a decorative drapery or valance treatment to soften this look. Fabric-either used on a roman shade or drapery panels just add the finishing touches to a room.

6. erin loechner says:

Thanks for weighing in, friends!

7. Danielle says:

I think you meant to say "Here ARE 4 helpful tips" since "Here IS 4 helpful tips" is grammatically incorrect.

8. [...] There are certain things to keep in mind when choosing the right window treatments for your Richmond home. A bare window can make any room or home a drag, so be sure to pay attention to all of the qualities of the space to decide on how you would like to dress up your windows. [...]

9. mollie says:

I have bedroom windows that are 76" wide and 26" long. Any suggestions for covering them. I now have valances over them but in the morning, the sun comes in on one side of the house. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Eve says:

This is not an answer to your problem but to say I have the same type window on one wall and a regular size window on another wall in the same room. WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THAT????

10. Oldie but goody says:

I love the privacy my trees and shrubs give me from the outside world, but always "finish" my windows with a valance that picks up the main color/colors in the room. I hate the look of a bare window but don't like anything too fussy either (country decor in this 109-yr. old house).