As a new bride, I know a thing or two about bridal registries. I spent many nights putting my husbands and mine together, figuring out exactly what to request to complete our home. In addition to making sure I included items of various price ranges, I was also very particular about including pieces typically used during special occasions. That’s what I look for on other people’s registries. Something like this beautifully designed Round Avocado Pitcher by Vietri. What’s better to give a new couple than something that looks stunning displayed on a shelf, is equally appealing when filled with flowers and used as a centerpiece and is also a piece that will be admired when passed from hand to hand around a table as people refresh their water glasses. So, when I come across a 52-inch LCD flat screen, a giant movie theater popcorn machine or a bottle of wood polish on a registry, I’m completely befuddled, and, frankly, a bit irritated.

Vietra Italian Tableware

If only these clueless brides and grooms had visited Italian tableware company Vietri before they got trigger happy with the registry gun. There is absolutely nothing on their site a critical former bride like myself can talk smack about. Everything from the dinnerware to the table linens is handcrafted by master artisans in Italy and absolutely gorgeous.

Vietri’s Round Avocado Pitcher is up for grabs this Friday. Just leave us a comment before 12/11c Monday, June 13 for a chance to win.

This week, answer either of these two questions: When picking out a wedding gift, what are you always hoping will be on the registry? [OR] What have you been most shocked to see included on a bridal registry?

Click for official rules.

Accessories, Freebies

1. Maggie says:

A $700 dollar blender!! I just got engaged, so i'll make sure not to include one of those on my registry :-)

2. Mary W says:

I can see where a chainsaw might come in handy but will it still look good 25 years from now the way this beautiful pitcher would?

3. hhung1 says:

I'm one of those busy/un-thoughtful people who don't have time to filter through wedding registries and prefer to give cash or like-cash gifts instead. So, I always hope that the bride or groom loves cash gifts as much as I Iove the time I save from going though other's wish lists and trying to decide, is someone else going to get this? is this a great deal or the best deal for this type of item? Can I get a product for same/better quality for the same price or cheaper elsewhere? How many excellent options can you have at target.com or bathandbeyond.com? What if the bride really did want to include the Vietri Tableware in her Target wedding registry but couldn't because Target doesn't carry Vietri? That's the beauty of the liquidity of cash – everyone accepts cash and you can use it anywhere for almost anything. Not to mention the wrapping…

I'll have to admit, who doesn't love a beautifully wrapped gift? Nobody. But the appreciation for that superficial beauty will be short-lived and in the long run, the only thing remembered will be the quality and functionality of the thing within the beautiful wrapping. And trust me, I'm all about the functionality baby.

4. ZibaAnne says:

Beautiful pitcher..love the the avocado color.. As for an unique item on a bridal registry, I must admit I haven't received a wedding invite in many years for me to recall…

5. Suzanne says:

Love the pitcher!

I once saw that a bride had registered for a low-calorie cookbook and thought to myself "that just won't do, her husband will not enjoy that"…so I sent her The Pioneer Woman's cookbook instead and told her to cook her way through it because it would ensure a happy marriage :)

6. SweetLiz says:

I was shocked to see an expensive toilet seat on a bridal registry! Had to be the groom's pick or a joke. I don't know if they received it. Can you imagine what the thank you card said?

This pitcher is lovely and would look great in my kitchen.

7. tanya says:

i LOVE LOVE LOVE to see useful unisex things on registries, like power tools, gardening tools, etc. But i always include seed packets or assorted nails etc. 'wrapped' with tag sale embroidered pillow cases.
    The pitcher is beautiful. Someone is going to be one thankful winner, I tell you what!

8. mooreto says:

Love that pitcher. I've never been married so I've never had the chance to put together a "registery." But I've pulled quite a few of them to assist me in buying the bride and groom a "dream" gift. Most unusual thing was an expensive baby stroller! I must be a real dinasour because I was flabbrgasted! I guess times have changed.

9. Barb says:

So glad someone wrote about goofy wedding registries! Most surprising thing I saw recently was a request for trash cans – not the pretty ones you might find in a bathroom etc. but the big, ugly, black outdoor ones! It was a 2nd marriage for both so maybe they didn't need much but at that point, i decided to go off the registry and buy something unique i thought they would like.

Love the pitcher!

10. Adrienne says:

I'm always hoping there will be quality, luxurious items that will last the couple for a long time and that they will cherish — such as high threadcount sheets, cashmere blankets or gorgeous serveware.

• Accessories in this master bedroom are kept to a minimum to

• Shades of purple are echoed throughout this formal living

• As seen on HGTV's "My Big Family Renovation"

• As seen on HGTV's "My Big Family Renovation"