My favorite quote of the day comes from our HGTV Gardening Editor, Marie. She put it perfectly when she said, “Honestly, what could be better than a plant that comes back year after year, blooming its head off with little input from you other than having planted it?” It’s so true. When you have a variety of perennials blossoming at different times year-round, all the work of maintaining color in your garden is pretty much done for you. And with sweltering heat blanketing much of the country, who wouldn’t want to sit back and enjoy their garden rather than sweating while digging in the dirt?

Peony - Black-eyed Susan - Astilbe

If you’ve been keeping your eye out for low-maintenance or drought-tolerant plants, check out these incredible pictures of our top 10 easiest perennials. Planting perennials can be a great way to keep your garden vibrant from early to late summer. If you’re curious about what perennials are flowering in different regions of the U.S. this summer, check out these drop-dead gorgeous pictures of summer perennials.

Do you have a favorite perennial or way you use perennials in your garden?

Tell us in the comments below.

Gardening, Landscaping

1. [...] Design Happens Learn more about here » This entry was posted in HGTV Design Happens and tagged design [...]

2. [...] Design Happens Learn more aboutdesign,art,decorating here » This entry was posted in HGTV Design Happens [...]

3. Anna@HGTV says:

I'm thinking we're going to remove our front yard grass that's really all weeds and put in a cottage garden filled with perennials. Love coneflower! Our neighbors have done this to great effect making our front yard look extra shabby. Not shabby chic.

• Hilary_HGTV says:

Oh I love when people have cottage gardens in the front of their homes. Think you'll go all-out-cottage and finish the garden off with a white-picket fence?

• CplusE says:

I love this idea! We have the same problem, plus we need to remove a sweet gum tree that hogs all the moisture and drops spiny sweet gum balls everywhere in the fall. I want to line our front sidewalk with lavender, which just may work here in Georgia if I raise the beds slightly to keep the plants well drained.

• Anna says:

CplusE, after traveling to LA and San Fran, I was so jealous of how lavender grows in such abundance there. So I dug up parts of my yard, improved the soil conditions by adding sand, and the lavender I planted has flourished. No raised beds. Go for it. Just not in an area of your yard that's practically pure GA clay. That's why I have no lavender plants to the side of my house. Only front and back. Good luck!

4. we have gorgeous plants that flower nearly year round in our garden. I have planting things that bloom every month (cape honeysuckle for Jan-Feb, purple porter weed for hot August for instance) and only use a few annuals to add variety in my butterfly garden.

• Hilary_HGTV says:

The day I have enough property for a big and luscious garden, I'm hoping to keep it blossoming and beautiful year-round like you! You're garden sounds enchanting!

• Anna says:

You have some lucky butterflies! And bees I'm sure.

5. CplusE says:

Right now the perennials doing best in our Georgia flower bed despite the sweltering heat are bee balm (Monarda sp.) and catmint (Nepeta sp.). They both tolerate the heat well, but the bee balm needs to be kept moist and shaded from afternoon sun.

• Anna says:

My neighbors zinnias and sun flowers are doing wonderfully, too, despite the heat! And some are coming up out of the cracks in the sidewalk.

6. Some of my favorites are Beebalm and Cleome because they are so unusual. My beebalm typically grows as tall as me (5'7") and is in a part-sun area. They spread like crazy though so be sure you want a spreading plant. The Cleome propagate quickly also and seem to do well in part-sun.

The star of the yard so far this year were my Allium. They are a bulb plant and I had forgotten I planted them two years ago. They didn't do anything the first year so I was a bit perplexed watching these long single stems growing out of the ground for about 2 months before they finally opened. I was delighted to see what they were. Another odd looking, unique flower.

• Anna says:

Frugalinterior, is that a public link to a FB photo? It didn't work for me. Would love to see the pic. We had an alien plant sprout in the middle of our yard one year. Just one. Strangest bloom. Turned out to be some kind of onion.

• Karli_HGTV says:

Gorgeous! I've got garlic growing that resembles the allium. They are in the same family, but I prefer the garlic because I can eat it and enjoy the interesting blooms. Keep up the great work!

7. Hilary Johnson says:

Frugalinterior, it's pretty common for perennials to not bloom the first year you plant the bulbs. And it might take up to three years for them to fully establish themselves . . . so here's to an even more amazing Allium next year! : )

8. susyn dragness says:

remember summer is 3 months and perennials bloom for couple weeks only each….i saw a garden 3/4 acre like this and after bloom peak it was leggy winter empty plant tomatoes, zucc's and piumpkins and stretch season even potatoes, onion sets…

9. wow!this is so nice,i like it very much!This link is more suitable for me and Very Wonderful, I think it is very valuable!
    new gucci sunglasses 2014 http://www.designglassesmall.com/gucci-sunglasses-cheap-24.html

10. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I actually njoyed reading it, you might be a great author.

I will make certain to bookmark your blog and wipl come back inn the future.
    I want to encourage one to continue your great posts, have a nicxe weekend!

Visit my web-site :: Las Vegas Microwave Service