Although our deck is far from ready to decorate (I have strict rules to finish the interior of my home before I can start on the exterior), summer is here and I can’t pretend like you all aren’t outside enjoying perfect evening dinners on your perfect patios. But if you’re not, this post is all about how to build the perfect patio (on a budget!) for every one of your summer whims.

Whether you’re an alfresco dining connoisseur, urban dweller or beach bum, I’ve got a patio design for each of you. Just humor me while I live vicariously through you, OK? Deal.

Small space HGTV Design Happens - designer Erin Loechner - patio furniture urban dweller

You never have to sacrifice style for space.

For the Urban Dweller:
Short on space but large on style? Get the most out of your tiny terrace or mini-balcony by going modern with an elemental table, side tray and hanging planters.

[a]. URBAN Stackable Chair ($40) at IKEA
[b]. Rajputana Outdoor Rug ($30) at West Elm
[c]. Plant Pot ($3) at IKEA
[d]. Tray Table ($50) at CB2
[e]. Oasis Garden in Galvanized Pot ($50) at VivaTerra
[f]. Element Coffee Table ($400) at CB2
[g]. Table Grill ($360) at A+R
[h]. Wally Indoor/Outdoor Living Wall ($40) at A+R

TOTAL COST? $973

Everything but the sunscreen. HGTV Design Happens - designer Erin Loechner - patio furniture beach bum

Everything but the sunscreen.

For the Beach Bum:
If tanning is your middle name, why not turn your patio into an at-home beachy oasis? Split your time between a hammock and a sun lounger for the ultimate in comfort while sipping your soda in style. Don’t forget a shady umbrella and outdoor rug for keeping your cool. Happy sunning!
[a]. Bodum Portable Charcoal Grill ($59) at Amazon.
[b]. Striped Outdoor Rug ($50) at Overstock.
[c]. Canvas Umbrella ($70) at Amazon.
[d]. SLOM Bottle with Stopper ($4) at IKEA.
[e]. Party Tub ($25) from CB2.
[f]. Rope Hammock ($150) at Amazon.
[g]. Cabana Beach Towel ($18) at Swim Outlet.
[h]. Bask Sun Lounger ($249) at CB2.

TOTAL COST? $630

Time to dine!. HGTV Design Happens - designer Erin Loechner - patio furniture al fresco

Time to dine!

For the Alfresco Dining Connoisseur:
Summer means starry evenings, crisp white wine and refreshing eats — indulge on your patio with a slatted dining table, patterned runner and nature-inspired accessories that guarantee a relaxing evening at home.
[a]. Sky Planter ($35) at A+R
[b]. NORDMYRA Stackable Chairs ($40 each) at IKEA
[c]. Stone Egg Candle Lantern ($32) at VivaTerra
[d]. Outdoor Dining Table ($300) at CB2
[e]. Haze Mimosa Table Runner ($100) at AphroChic
[f]. Patio Tabletop Heater ($100) at Amazon
[g]. Biodegradable Tableware ($12) at A+R
[h]. Ceylon Pitcher ($30) at CB2

TOTAL COST? $690

So friends, which is your favorite look? And what is your favorite patio staple?

Tell me in the comments below.

1. Linda says:

Cutters Backyard bug spray that goes on the hose and spays the grassy areas. It is not toxic to people. It keeps the bugs away. I believe that it isn't toxic to the water table either.

2. TRACY says:

GERANIUMS ARE ALSO A MOSQUITO REPELENT PLANT!

3. MommaU says:

I live in Southeast Texas, near the Gulf coast. Not only are the mosquitoes bad, but the humidity is also unbearable. Even ceiling fans don't help much. Any suggestions?

4. SRL says:

We just made our front ponch and walk flagstone. But what kind of seating should I put on the flagstone?
    Or what should I put on it, I have two plants what else???

5. LOVEs WHITE says:

Time to dine!

For the Alfresco Dining Connoisseur:

6. Always Smile says:

I like the ideas of geraniums, citronella plants, and Listerine for mosquitoes. I will check them out.
    Any suggestions for getting rid of swarming tiny gnats. There is a lake nearby, and, when I walk outside in the evening, I walk right into a cloud of them!
    Also, no matter how much I vaccum baseboards and wall corners, I find a spider about 3 time each week in my house. Worst yet, the spiders make webs from the trees to my patio about 10 feet away. If I am away for a week, the patio is decorated with glistening spider webs! Yuck!
    Any suggestions for getting rid of spiders inside and out? Help!
    Thanks.

7. Cool In Michigan says:

MommaU – I just saw some misters that you hang to help cool you off – I believe that they hook right up to the hose and spray a light mist of water.

Misty Mate Keepin Cool 6 Outdoor Misting System
    Misty Mate Cool Patio 10 Outdoor Misting System – 10 Feet
    Misty Mate Cool Patio 30 Outdoor Misting System – 30 Feet

Control your climate. The portable Misty Mate Keepin' Cool 6 Outdoor Misting System provides a cool break from the heat wherever you need it. The preassembled Keepin' Cool 6 system attaches securely to your patio fascia and provides 10' of mist to cool the ambient temperature up to 30°F. The Keepin Cool 6 is made with 1/8" polyethylene hose, making the system extremely lightweight and portable. This system is perfect for any umbrella or canopy.

8. Wonderful beat ! I must apprentice whilst you amend your website, how does someone subscribe for the blog website? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I became touch acquainted with this your broadcast offered vivid transparent idea