As much as I am a fan of the clean look of concrete floors (and poured concrete surfaces of all types), I admit that it can look pretty cold and stark at times.

milled concrete floors

But design studio Transparent House warmed the look up by milling soft vines and flowers into the concrete and the result is so much more congenial. The options for what can be carved into the concrete are nearly limitless. Add to that the variety of finishes that can used on concrete and you’ve just opened up a whole new world of options for these practical floors.

1. Years ago, I was obsessed with BBC America's Design show "Changing Rooms".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changing_Rooms http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/tv_and_radio/cr_index….

One of the female designers did a kitchen floor in concrete. She created a design motif using embedded pebbles and stones. It was so unbelievably cool that I've never forgotten about it and want to use concrete in my designs. It was like creating a giant, custom, concrete stepping stone.

2. Kendra says:

I just signed up for a concrete class! A do-it-yourself thing! I'm so excited as I have been in love with concrete floors and counters (and anything else) for a looooong time!

3. Julie says:

Where did you find a concrete class? I'm so interested in doing the same thing!

4. safely jamin says:

I am trying to figure out what type of concrete floor I should do for my new garden shed. I want something different and something easy to maintain. Any ideas? Is the stencil I see here easy to maintain? Are colored concrete floors easy to maintain and keep clean?

• Sandy says:

I originally put a concrete floor on my entry way patio. It gets dirty and has to be refinished periodically. So… I changed it to rock and haven't looked back – it's much easier to maintain with just a hose.

5. Roseann says:

yes were do fine a concrete class i

6. Joyce says:

My house is on a concrete slab. I have had some of the floor redone, but there is this gawdawful dark blue/turqoise rug (threadbare) in the bedroom. I can't afford to redo this floor. Since it's concrete anyway, any suggestions?

• guest says:

I have stained the concrete floors in my house with Home Depot's Driveway concrete stain (don't remember the brand but it's supposed to be used outdoors. With lots of ventilation and cure time, it can be used indoors and then sealed with Minwax's Polycrylic ( lustre or gloss) makes a nice finish. I love the durability, I use scatter rugs in the high traffic areas. The dogs track in sand, etc. so was a no brainer for me to keep out the carpets and the fleas. Had to fill the nail holes from the tack strips with concrete patch but that was easy, dried fast and the stain is opaque enough to cover them … love it, love it, would never go back. Try a closet area first to get the hang of it and check your color. Wear cushy slippers if the floors hurt your feet, but I Love the nice smooth, cool feeling in the summer.

• guest says:

I forgot to add, it also seals the floors from moisture, the house seems dryer summer and winter- a plus here in FL. You can always cover them later when you can afford it. with carpet , tile or whatever or layer them with area rugs. If I'd had more time before the sealer , I wanted to get creative and add some stenciling or 'paint' an area rug in the dining room. I still might since our rolling chairs have worn some off and will need touched up soon. Nothing lasts forever. Heh- it was cheap enough and solved my problem.

7. mlsgarden says:

No one asked me either but I agree Marthalyn. Was addicted to pain killers due to constant extreme knee pain. Changed my work situation from concrete floors to a raised wooden floor, knee pain gone in 2 weeks and hasn't returned (that was 6 years ago.) I will not spend more than an hour or two on concrete and, although I think they are gorgeous, I would never do my home in concrete floors. (and I'm 49 by the way lol)

8. Joy says:

Several years (20) ago I was taking an aerobics class in a dance studio that had concrete floors. People started to get knee injuries etc and they replaced that flooring with wood. I think there was some rumble about a lawsuit..

9. Devluka says:

Recently i have decided to redesign my kitchen and for that i am confused between laminate's and Hardwood Refinishing Services.

10. Susan says:

The last time I asked my local Lowes, they stopped offering classes in my area because not enough people were participating. I was advised to check again the next season. People in that part of town are rich & lazy. But I'm not part of that community!