Using color in the kitchen is a big trend. When so many appliances come in industrial-looking stainless steel, the kitchen can get a bit bland. Adding some color is a definite “do,” but how much is too much?

bruce bolander green kitchen

I saw this picture of a Bruce Bolander kitchen design on Dwell and kept waffling in my thoughts about it. “It’s crazy.” Then, “No, it’s crazy good.” I think I’ve landed on the side of loving this kitchen.  The bright color adds a huge amount of personality in a space that is all about the homeowner. Everything that comes out of your kitchen says a little bit about who you are, so why shouldn’t its look reflect you too? Would you ever do something this bold in your home?

1. CplusE says:

I like the look of this kitchen, but I would go with red instead of green cabinets. It's my favorite color, and it would contrast nicely with the green foliage outside (I think the green in this kitchen clashes a bit with the green outdoors). I would keep the light blue backsplash — lately I've developed a liking for red with shades of turquoise, and that blue is close enough!

2. Kayla@HGTV says:

Green is my all-time favorite color, so obviously I love this. I don't know if I could handle it in my own home, but it's definitely gorgeous.

3. yellowfinche says:

This is amazing! So bold, yet it doesn't overpower with color because of the other elements within the space, such as the floor-to-ceiling glazing, and the beautiful view outside.

4. Amy PureHome says:

Normally I'm not a fan of color on cabinets like this, but obviously I've just never seen it done really well. This is awesome! I would love to have a kitchen like this!

5. Karli_HGTV says:

I love the green kitchen with the green of the hillside. It looks like a watercolor painting. Red would really spice it up and give a Tex-Mex vibe, but I like the overall effect of the green on green.

• CplusE says:

I actually like the green of the kitchen, but I think it would look more spectacular in a tropical setting rather than an arid southwestern one. But that's just me! Everyone's tastes are different, and that's what makes design so much fun!

6. totally! it's crazy cool! dont be scared of color!

7. chrisdev says:

i think that this is a finest work ever made nice location cool color one of my very favorite colors ..everything place in such a nice order
    chimney

8. Mark says:

I LOVE the idea of this kitchen it's now in my Link text<Small Home Kitchen Remodeling Ideas> .

9. Donna says:

No, I think the color clashes with the fabulous outside views. The bold clear green actually stops the eye, making the expense of the glass walls a waste of money. Also, clear colors don't wear on the eye well, and cause your design to feel dated quicker.

• Linda says:

I totally agree with Donna – I didn't even notice the outdoors as the green stopped me cold – with all those windows, I am confused as to what they are trying to feature – indoors or outdoors? They certainly don't seem seamless in this color pallette.

10. Karin says:

I want to like it since I love bold colors, but have to agree with those who say it clashes with the natural greens outside. Almost any color BUT bright green would've been better. Red would've been my first choice.