Here’s the deal. We’ve been living in our home for a few months now, but we we’ve still been making near-daily trips to our in-law’s home to pick up our forwarded mail. I know, I know. Bizarre. The only explanation I can make is that we were paralyzed with mailbox indecision. Our home isn’t what you’d call typical, so no ordinary mailbox would do. And the USPS has so many mailbox regulations, we figured getting creative with a DIY option would be tricky.

Mailbox HGTV Design Happens - designer Erin Loechner - mailbox diy

An $11 mailbox gets a vibrant (and oh so simple!) makeover.

So, we procrastinated instead. Until this weekend, when we finally bucked up and went mailbox shopping. Turns out we found a lovely, simple white model (that passed USPS standards!) at our local hardware store for just $11. Sold. Of course, by now you know that Ken and I rarely leave store-bought items untouched and are suckers for customizing… well, everything.

Here’s what we did:

Mailbox HGTV Design Happens - designer Erin Loechner - mailbox diy

A galvanized conduit from our basement made for the perfect post!

Instead of a traditional wooden post, we got crafty with a galvanized conduit we had on hand. After cutting it in half and following careful height regulations, we fastened an EMT connector to the mailbox and screwed it into place.

Mailbox HGTV Design Happens - designer Erin Loechner - mailbox diy

A quick and easy fasten!

Once the mailbox was in place, it was time to dress it up a bit. We opted to spray paint the traditional red flag a vibrant yellow to match our front door, and then settled on some modern house number decals that are weather-proof and outdoor-approved.

Mailbox HGTV Design Happens - designer Erin Loechner - mailbox diy

A cheerful flag says hello!

We love the finished result, and the entire project cost less than $20. In fact, we can’t believe why we waited this long to complete such a simple project!

Mailbox HGTV Design Happens - designer Erin Loechner - mailbox diy

Ta-da!

What do you think, readers? Have you ever made over a mailbox? Any tips?

Tell me in the comments below.

1. Carmen says:

I do paint flowers, birds, bird houses and more on mailboxes. I use the Donna Dewberry one stroke technique. I have painted several, wish I could load some pictures to show you!!

Carmen

2. marcella says:

I love this idea. My mailbox is so Ugly. My husband is the most amazing decorative/fine artist, it's what he does for a living and he just painted three utility boxes in our happiest town in the US and they are amazing! I can now see how he could totally transform an even smaller mailbox into something brilliant. Thanks for the inspiration!! His work can be seen on his website joebachelor.net under the top heading "featured."

3. MaricelaBee says:

4. seleena says:

yeah amazing interesting one

5. Brinker says:

I love the yellow!!! As a new home owner (and I confess when it comes to decorating of any sort I'm hopeless) it is nice to find easy and inexpensive ideas to dress up a home. Well I'm hopeless at all do it yourself things. Over the summer I attempted to re-pave my driveway…..I made such a mess. Fortunately for me I found Dewey's paving that is located near me. God bless Bob and his team! Check out their awesome work at <a href="http://www.deweyspaving.com” target=”_blank”>www.deweyspaving.com. Only problem now is that I don't want to attempt any more home improvements myself for fear I'll have another driveway crisis….

6. Veronica W says:

I love your mailbox very much. I too just purchased a white mailbox and was searching for creative ways to add house numbers to it. Would you mind sharing what font you used for #s? I appreciate it very much. I also like that you used grey numbers. Nice color use with yellow.

7. flashnick says:

Assuming you used a 2" EMT for the post and connector. I'm curious to know what you used to cut the hole in the bottom of the mailbox for the threaded end of the connector?