The 2011 NBA draft is upon us. Sports chat rooms and talk shows are buzzing with the news of Lakers’ forward Ron Artest’s new name change (“Metta World Peace” if you haven’t heard), as well as the picks of popular teams like the San Antonio Spurs, Utah Jazz and Boston Celtics. No matter who your favorite team is (or if you’re a fair-weather fan who’s obsessed with the Dallas Mavericks this year), you’ll appreciate the subtle basketball reference in this summer house’s living room.

2011 nba draftHouse Beautiful :: Old-Fashioned Maine Home

Do you see it? That’s a vintage basketball hoop serving as as a sculptural element on the rattan coffee table. No huge foam fingers, team colors or championship posters. Just classic American style. Like in feature blogger Brian Patrick Flynn’s Super Bowl post. Go team.

If you’re a sports fan, do you incorporate your favorite team’s merchandise or color scheme into any of the rooms in your home or is wearing a jersey during the big game as far as you’ll take it?

Sound off in the comments below.

Design Inspiration

1. Kayla@HGTV says:

I've been a UT Vols fan since I could walk and talk, but you won't find a bit of orange in my home. Actually, I have only a few pieces of orange hanging in my closet. Unfortunately, orange isn't my color – design-wise or clothing-wise. So, I typically leave the orange and white for game days.

2. Kari says:

Pretty Cool idea!

3. Sandi says:

Kayla, I don't blame you… lol. I'm a UK Wildcat fan so of course I would say that ;) But seriously, I don't have UK blue around either. My car is a different story! lol

• Karli_HGTV says:

Sandi, You and Kayla should should get together. UT orange and Wildcat blue make….uh oh…Florida Gators. Nevermind. :)

4. Karli_HGTV says:

Nice! My husband has a ton of sports memorabilia, but we haven't figured out the best way to incorporate it into our "eclectic French country" design. Does your bathroom mesh well with the rest of your house? How did you pull it off?

5. Karli_HGTV says:

Even without the hoop, it's quite unique and very fashionable.

6. Whitney says:

I dislike any over-themed room. In my case over-themed sports would consist of the Pacers :I or the Colts:). Who wants to live in an all royal blue/white room? But there are other themes that go out of whack….apples (why so many?), wine/grapes ("italian design"), desert (wild wild west), beachy (don't have sail boats everywhere!). It's okay to have fun but don't over do it!
    Same goes for kid's bathrooms that are shared with guests…Guests don't want to see all those frogs! lol

7. Katy says:

We have a little half bath that is also all Jayhawks! Red walls, lots of wall pictures devoted to KU!

8. Eric says:

I have a large collection of baseball memorabilia, which we devoted one room too, but some of the nicer peices (statues and some art) have integrated throughout the house. And yes my wife gave me the go ahead before it was done.

9. Jane says:

When you live in Boston, you have a variety of winning colors to choose from….Bruins black and gold,,,,,red sox red,,,,,,,red white and blue patriots…. hummmm what's the revolution's colors???

10. ellen phillips says:

Basketball goal on the coffee table–cool