Last month we introduced you to Mr. Goodwill Hunting (aka Rashon Carraway) in our Blogger of the Month feature. While chatting about his blog and awesome thrifting skills, Rashon tipped me off that Saturday, July 9th is “I Love Thrifting” Day. So what is I <3 Thrifting Day? Rashon says, “I’m encouraging all my followers and others to join in and descend upon thrift stores to show a solid front.” Together designers and style-conscious folks in the online community can bring attention to the importance of repurposed design and their love of thrifting.

I-Love-Thrifting-Day-Rashon-Carraway-HGTV-DesignHappens

With several avid thrifters and fans of Mr. Goodwill Hunting on staff, we knew we couldn’t pass this event up. So, the HGTV Design Happens team has decided to host an I <3 Thrifting event in the city where we are based—Knoxville, Tenn.! So, if your close by, come and join us! We’d love to meet you. Check back for more details on where and when.

Or you can go thrifting with the designers hosting thrifting in New York City, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Denver, Phoenix, Roanoke, Va., Columbia, S.C., Charlotte, N.C. and Toledo, Ohio. Plus, continue to check Rashon’s blog and Facebook page for host updates in your city. Even if there’s not an official host near you, you can communicate with those participating in the event by using the Twitter hashtag #ilovethrifting to find interested folks in your community that may want to meet up and shop!

And don’t forget to order an I <3 Thrifting t-shirt to proudly wear around your city. (I’m getting the pink one!)

What are your I <3 Thrifting plans for July 9?

Tell us in the comments below.

Announcements, Shopping

1. Anna@HGTV says:

I <3 Thrifting in Atlanta, LA and San Francisco. The BEST cities for thrifting, ever!

2. KIm says:

I'm hosting for the Charleston, SC group and can't wait to find some great things with a bunch of new friends.

• Anna@HGTV says:

Awesome! Love Charleston! Is the thrifting as pricey there as the antiquing? Proportionately…

• Karli_HGTV says:

So happy to hear this! For those who vacation in the Low Country, what thrift shops do you recommend for a taste of Charleston style?

• Kayla@HGTV says:

Kim – I'll be in Charleston Saturday night July 9/Sunday July 10 – I'd love to check out some of the thrift stores around there that you all visited!

3. Kathy says:

I have been thrifting for a while now, and love it!! I have found some amazing things for just pennies.
    Just recently an oriental blue china drawing signed and numbered by the artist for $8.00!! It's so rewarding to find interesting and thrifty finds!!

4. Kayla@HGTV says:

Here's a list of cities that have recently been added to host "I <3 Thrifting" Day: Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, D.C., Birmingham, Ala., Charleston, S.C., Raleigh, N.C., Austin, Texas, Portland, Ore., Toronto, Canada.

5. DeeAnna says:

Denver is in! Take a look at our schedule http://alittlejunkinmytrunk.blogspot.com/2011/06/… can't wait to meet you!

6. Courtney says:

I'm hosting the Raleigh, NC event so check out the schedule here: http://thejoyofdecorating.com/2011/06/i-love-thri…. I can't wait!

7. Room Service Atlanta is hosting a party in join us in HOTLanta for some thrifting FUN!! http://www.blulabelbungalow.com/2011/06/join-us-i
    Oh, how I love to stretch a dollar!

8. Sharon says:

What is the Knoxville schedule for thrifting on July 9th?

9. @jsnsimmons says:

My friend Shanika and I are hosting one in Columbia, SC. The capital city is about to get thrifty on Sat. July 9. Can't wait to hang out with new & old friends. We're hitting some really cool spots. For more info. – ck out Shanika's blog http://www.lifeispichey.com/2011/06/i-lovethrifti

Happy Thrifting to everyone across this frugal land!

10. [...] 9? Rashon’s expanding list of host cities includes Knoxville. If you haven’t heard, HGTV.com staffers are hosting the Knoxville “I <3 Thrifting” event. Other thrifting party cities are Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Houston, Phoenix, Austin, Philadelphia, [...]