Beekeeping is all the rage in grow-your-own circles; so much so that I’m tempted to say that bees are the new chickens (now there’s a phrase I never anticipated writing).

cedar beehive

Our very own Kelley Walters is a beginner apiarist and when I showed her this cedar beehive from I found on Etsy from seller Steidlewave she said she gasped.  This visually stunning piece is handmade from recycled cedar fencing and doesn’t come cheap at $999.  But it is so lovely that I’d be tempted to use it as a side table in my living room.

Are any of you keeping bees? Tell us in the comments!

1. If bees are the new chickens, does that mean bees taste like chicken?

Seriously, when I saw the image I thought, cool table. Guess we both have the same idea. Depending on it's overall size, I'd throw a square glass table top on it and use it as the base for a small dining table. If you could see down through the top, it would be neat for displaying items as well.

2. Lili@HGTV says:

Also, I know there are reasons not to be scared of bees, but they scare me none the less. I wonder how long it takes to shake the natural impulse to RUN when handling so many bees?

3. HGTV_Kelley says:

Bees are *totally* the new chickens! And I'll take that bee hive, for a hive AND a table. So pretty!

4. CplusE says:

That hive is so gorgeous there is no way I'd share it with bees! It will stay in the home as a decorative accessory and the bees can have the old standard hive. I am still learning about bee-keeping, but I plan to set up a hive next spring. One thing I have learned — as long as you stay calm around the bees they stay calm as well, and you won't get stung. Even if you are feeling it, never show fear because they can sense it and it upsets them! If that seems impossible, just wear the right gear (coveralls, gloves, face net) and you are protected. And even though bees are the new chickens, I want the chickens as well!

5. [...] the other day when I said that I thought bees might be the new chickens? That very well may be the case, but designers are still cranking out great new poultry [...]

6. Carol Calladine says:

I question whether a cedar wood hive would work, as cedar odor repels insects. I have the same comment when I see Cedar butterfly houses.

7. Beverly says:

It is beautiful indeed, but doesn't seem to be very practical for use as an actual hive. If the base and hive body cost a grand, each component, ie. 'supers, and 'frames', would be very expensive too. Hmm. I'll keep my sweet bees in their conventional and economical hive!

8. Michel says:

Hunh? Nobody noticed that cedar is used to keep insects OUT? Doesn't seem to be a correct use of the material. SUPER nice table though!

9. Laurie says:

Here in Fl the carpenter bees LOVE cedar and would just love to drill holes in this stunning piece. Keep it indoors as a table and use the standard bee fare for hives.

10. Glenn Sanders says:

As bee hive it's not practical for me. The legs with the bar across the bottom prevent ant control by sitting the legs a pan with cookink oil. The top prevents ease removing the top witth your standard frame tool bar. Other than price I'll stay with my unassemble boxes just over 100.00 with frames.
    Glenn