Would you rather have…
  1. HGTV interior designer Genevieve Gorder, Candice Olson or Vern Yip come over for an afternoon?
  2. Genevieve, Candice or Vern give you feedback on the way you’ve designed your home?
  3. Genevieve, Candice and Vern judge your original designs while you’re engaged in cutthroat competition with 11 other professional interior designers/contractors/stylists/artist on a hit reality series viewed by millions?

Season 6 Design Star Cast

If you picked No. 1, then watching Design Star is the next best thing. If you selected No. 2, have you considered auditioning for next season? If No. 3 was your pick, you’re a likely fit to join the ranks of 12 designers fighting to win their own show on HGTV.

The sixth season of HGTV Design Star premieres this Monday, July 11 at 9/8c. (If you need to catch up on previous years, no worries, we have episode recaps online.) See the drama unfold as mentor David Bromstad guides the talented contestants through their weekly design challenges and track their ongoing battles to impress judges Genevieve, Candice, Vern and surprise celebrity guests.

What’s your favorite part about watching the premiere? Meeting the new contestants? Guessing who will be the first to be eliminated? The tough mentoring and judging moments? Casting your fan vote based on the first episode?

Tell us in the comments below.

1. Laura says:

In the title, "Premiere" is spelled incorrectly…

2. Anna@HGTV says:

I'm always interested to see who will be the first to be eliminated. There's the me guessing and seeing if I'm right. And then there is the feeling so terrible (guilty pleasure) that they are the first to go.

Does anyone try to guess who will win the competition based on the first episode?

• Hilary_HGTV says:

Oh my gosh, I always try to pick who will win. But usually that's just my favorite character. If they're too crazy or dramatic, I refuse to believe they could win. Haha

3. [...] via: Countdown to HGTV’s Design Star Premeire: Would You Rather…? Category: Design Tags: countdown, Design, HGTV’s, Premeire, Rather…., Star, [...]

4. ANITA pAGANO says:

DO YOU HAVE REMODELING OLDER HOMES THAT HAVEBEENLIVE INFOR MANY YEARS STARTED 1937 GRANDPARENTS TO AUNTS TO UNCLES COUSINS AND NOW ITS OWERS 2002 WE ARE HAVING ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS WET BASEMENT ELEC OUTAGES ROOF PROBLEMS HEATING COOLING THE WALLS WILL NOT HOLD NAILS IT JUST RIPES A LONG LINE WE HAVE A VERY STRONG ACTTION TO THE HOUSE DO YOU HELP WITH THIS THE BASEMENT USE TO BE AN APARTMENT FOR TWO FAMILIES BTHE SONS BOTH WITH CHILDERN WE ARE ALL LIVING UP STAIRS THE LIVING ROOM IS DOUBLE BEDROOM NOW THERE IS A BIT OF NO PEACE HERE THIS STARTED IN THE FLOOD OF AUG 2010 MY NAME IS ANITA PAGANO 40 YRS OF MARIAGE

5. Mella says:

How about Blanche and those credentials…..lol

6. AmberBamber says:

I have heard so much about design star, but I've never seen even one episode (or even part of one episode). No Cable TV. Bummer.

I would love to have a professional come and give me advice on designing my house (and maybe a few thousand dollars to actually follow through on the design).

• Anna@HGTV says:

AmberBamber – Good news! You can watch full episodes of Design Star on our website AFTER they premiere on TV on HGTV. In fact, lots of our shows are available to view on HGTV.com. Here's the link for Design Star, and the first episode is called "Makeover Your Penthouse." Enjoy!

7. carol says:

I hope that HGTV shows will become more aware of toxics in building and renovation products and the potential health impacts from exposures to dusts and fumes. I see some of you tearing down walls and otherwise destorying things that either could be recycled or at least removed in an organized manner that minimizes dust and particulate. As it is, your people act in an uncontrolled manner, creating dust and a huge mess, without using a dust mask or better, a respirator. Of course, you are appearing as an example of what your viewers may want to copy. Instead, you should be showing your viewers how to block access to the ventilation system so that dust and particulate is not entrained in the ventilation system for long-term exposures to and recirculation of dusts and particulate.

You also use toxic building products without seeming to understand that. This includes the use of chipboard, sawdust board and other manufactured board that contains formaldehyde resins (causes cancer). Using manmade boards with isocyanate resins is no better. You need to explain to the viewers that sawdust from these types of materials, whether solid wood or manmade wood products, is a health hazard. Show this by example and use a dust mask or respirator.

When you paint, wear a mask or show how windows or ventilation should be provided, using exhaust fans or other equipment. Don't stick your nose right on the paint and then bring a child in to paitn too. Worse, don't have a pregnant woman painting. Oh My!

I just watched a section of one of your shows where walls are destoryed and studs are knocked out, splintering the wood so that it cannot be reused. Folks, you really look like the worst of airheads. Then, your show anounces that the renovators are living in the basement during the renovaiton. No No. Bad, Bad. Exposures to rennovations can make people ill and some never get over it. Please get real and accept your responsibility to be good example. Hire a toxicologist – and not one owned by industry. Hire a toxicologist who can help you learn about toxics and how to minimize exposures for those involved in rennovations and those who are exposed secondarily.

Also, more to think about, don't show renovating of a babies room right before the baby is born. A newborn does not need exposures to outgassing paint or new furniture which most likely is outgassing formaldehyde. A newborn's room should be rennovated a year before birth so that the fetus is not exposed at critical periods of fetal development. Remember, teh baby does not know about or care about the color or make-up of thier room. But, the room and environment the baby is in, both before birth and after birth, is critical to the health and development of the baby.

I hope your show will contract with an appropriate preventive physician or toxicologist to review your planned shows so that you can be up-to-date and not so very uninformed.

8. hgtvluverr says:

I'm going with number 1. It would be really cool and I can show them around too. They could also give feedback. And at carol, that is a very good point. Wearing masks would be probably a healthier option.

9. Peggy Campbell says:

Guess I would have to pick #1 also. I have recently downsized rooms to save on air-conditioning bills. I switched my dining room and living room. It's quite cozy now going from 500 sq feet to under 150 sq feet. Sure wish there was a show or episode that deals with down-sizing for us older folks that need to watch our pennies!!!!!

10. Cindy says:

I'm so mad that Kevin is still there and Tyler went home this week. One shelf is keeping Kevin in the competiton? Are you kidding me? His kitch makes me itch!

I don't know where else to post this, but I had to express my disappointment in the show or my head would have exploded.