Do you think of your floors as a design element in your home?

angeleno interiors floor

Photo: Art Gray

The owners of this Venice Beach home – featured on the cover of Angeleno Interiors magazine – and their Icelandic architects did. They wrapped the burnt oak floors all the way up the wall to dramatic effect. They continue the long open space and draw the eye right up to the window high on the wall. What do you think? Too stark and clinical or clean and wonderful? Tell us in the comments.

Design Inspiration

1. newjudgesplease! says:

I love the idea, but this example just seems a little off to me for some reason. Maybe it's because the flooring stops abruptly at that narrow window, or the fact that it is a little off-center, or perhaps because I don't care for the color (I prefer the wood ceiling color). I really like the way Vanessa DeLeon used the same concept with tile in this room:

That chandelier is gorgeous, though — I want one in my home!

• lovethatchandelier says:

Oops! Forgot to change my username — just call me "lovethatchandelier"!

2. Janine R says:

I think that the wrap around floor is fabulous! I do, however, think that it would be much more exciting furnished and decorated in other ways,…rustic or country and even vintage….but, I do not think that this contemporary look works with this design feature,…JMHO. :)

3. Hilary_HGTV says:

First off….I love it! Second….that orb pendant is in the last shuttle launch post from late last week. http://blog.hgtv.com/design/2011/07/07/final-shut:D

4. Anna@HGTV says:

You can make a chandelier like the one in this picture, easy! http://ruffledblog.com/diy-string-wedding-chandel

5. Lea81194 says:

This is diffrent for sure but I'm not really feeling the wood on the ceiling. Paint on the ceiling is nice but for me, the wood is too dark for both floor and ceiling. However, it truly should be all about the owners style.

6. benita wheeler says:

Benita wheeler-i love this loook, i am acquarius, so this is up my alley to have that element of wow.

Lili ZarghamiLili is Editorial Director of HGTV.com. Her personal obsessions include looking for just the right sofa, ogling real estate listings, and reading floor-plans. She has an admitted "chair problem," collecting...