Featured

Typically for a “vote-off” reality show, I know my favorite contestant approximately 20 minutes into the first episode. (Am I alone in this?) Sometimes my fave goes on to win, and sometimes I’m wrong, but it’s always fun to pick a favorite and cheer them on throughout the season (unless they’re booted off after the first challenge). I’ll be doing the same for HGTV Design Star Season 6. Tonight at 9/8c on HGTV, 12 designers will face off in competitive design challenges to win the ultimate prize — their own HGTV show. (And one will win fan favorite.) Candice Olson, Vern Yip and Genevieve Gorder will once again grace your TV screens as the tough and brutally honest judges. New to the cast this year are David Bromstad, as the design mentor, and Tanika Ray, as your lovely host.

HGTV-Design-Star-Cast-Season-6-HGTV-DesignHappens

Check out the cast bios and portfolios for a glimpse of what you can expect from the season 6 contestants. Who do you think should have an HGTV.com online show? Vote daily for your favorite design star through September 16.

Now, we want to know who’s your fave contestant and why? Sound off in the comments below.

1. Jeannieacevedo says:

David i am from Puerto Rico And my mom and i love the way you color splash!!!!!! My only wish is to make mom wish come true to meet you and for you to color splash her house! You are the best and God bless you and your team!:*

2. ktcain says:

Where is Jen Bertrand's show? Did she get cancelled b/c she had a baby?

3. kathy says:

how many episodes for season 6?

4. dunkin01 says:

LOVE TOD – he is hysterical and the show is awesome !!!

5. Alcris says:

I do understand that things change and sometimes even people get tired of what they are doing. However I find out that your new HOST is awful, I don’t like her AT ALL.

• Bchicmama says:

Uhg. Tanika is so HARD TO LISTEN TO! I want to MUTE her. She is so unbelievabley annoying!

• Sue says:

What??? What are you looking for in a beautiful chocolate host. She's not your stereotypical "girlfriend type". I think she great and very pretty. I believe she's a California girl, plus she's been on a few TV shows so she's right for the job of hosting. She's genuine, her accent is genuine and if you press your Mute button you'll miss her incredible hosting!! Get over it, Clive is not coming back!!!!

6. Phyllis says:

I would like to know what happened to all the great decorating shows. Where is Candice Olsen, Vern, Kim, and Genvieve? It seems the only shows on HGTV now are house hunting shows and they seem to be on 24/7. Please bring back the decorating shows, please.

• Charlotte says:

I too am sick of all the house hunter shows. They were interesting at first, but I am sick of listening to all the rich people complaining about this, that and the other thing in kitchens, baths and about the smallness of the spaces. Get over yourselves. take some of that money you don't know what to do with and help some homeless person.

• Shirley says:

I agree!! I would like to see more decorating show for not only the nicer homes but the run down older homes like what I live in. Plain old down home living in the south where your home may have cost $15-$20K if your lucky!!! Let's see someone from HGTV design this kind of home! But yes there should be more design shows on. Shirley from Porters Gap Road

• sue Packard says:

I agree. Let us see some designers do something with our homes that are in the $150-300K Range. Not all of us are millionaires. Let us see some really creative design ideas for those of us who are in the poor column. I get tired of the shows that show rich people complaining about the size of rooms, the quality of the kitchen appliances and the view or lack thereof. Please let us see some real design

• Sue Packard says:

I agree. I hate the fact that all I see some days is House Hunting 24/7. It is so boring. Please bring back some of the really great design shows. Like Joan and the Color show and Candace and Vern Uip.Let is see something besides looking for a house to buy or rent.

• cindy says:

I AGREE! I think the House Hunting shows are cheap to produce so that's what we're getting. I miss Decorating Cents and others like it. So as a result I watch very little HGTV.

• Jay says:

I agree. I am over the rich and famous taking over everything. If the economy was good, we wouldn't even see them. They are constantly taking advantage of us. They use us to keep their lifestyles up and now they and encroaching our shows. Funny thing is when is the last time one of them actually sat down and watch an HGTV marathon? Probably NEVER. When the economy gets better, you won't see them on TV either! I am over it!

7. MARY D says:

I LOVED THE SHOW, WAS QUITE SURPRISED AT SOME OF THE WORK DONE, IF THAT'S WHAT YOUV'E GOT, AND THAT'S WHAT YOU'D DO FOR A FIRST IMPRESSION… WOW.. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT, THIS IS SUCH AN OPPORTUNITY.. DON'T BLOW IT, AND WHATEVER HAPPENED TO PLAY NICE WITH THE OTHER KIDS, CATHY MUST HAVE BEEN A ONLY CHILD ,, I LOVED WHEN THE DESIGNERS, ACKNOWLEDGED LESLIE WORK BEFORE CATHY'S AND WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT BENCH SHE MADE, THAT WAS HORRIBLE, AND SO WAS HER ATTITIUDE. WAS SO GREAT TO SEE VERN, GENIVEVE AND CANDICE, TALK ABOUT THE BIG THREE….I'LL BE WATCHING CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT KARL DOES NEXT, HIS WORK WAS SPOT ON.

8. Looking forward to watching it right now! A nice way to end my birthday day! :)

9. Sarah says:

Omg Design Star… I've watched every season and have to say that Tanika Ray is the most annoying host I've ever witnessed. I literally cringe every time she speaks.

• librangel says:

Thank YOU. She is sooooo fake. If she could find a way to be less robotic and more sincere it would be easier to watch. She makes me cringe too!

• Shirley says:

I'd much rather listen to Tanika than watch a show staring Cathy any day of the week. Talk about cringing, that's what I do just knowing that Cathy made it another week!!!!!

• harleyquinn says:

I agree whole heartedly. I can't stand her voice, I just want to turn her off. She's basically pointless, give David her duties on top of mentoring and get rid of her!

• Dawn says:

Amen…I thought I was the only one who felt this way. She sounds like she is reading a cue card!

10. Leonidas says:

how about making them Design something around this wine Rack that any one can afford http://qrky.co/ka8TRS

B)