Typically for a “vote-off” reality show, I know my favorite contestant approximately 20 minutes into the first episode. (Am I alone in this?) Sometimes my fave goes on to win, and sometimes I’m wrong, but it’s always fun to pick a favorite and cheer them on throughout the season (unless they’re booted off after the first challenge). I’ll be doing the same for HGTV Design Star Season 6. Tonight at 9/8c on HGTV, 12 designers will face off in competitive design challenges to win the ultimate prize — their own HGTV show. (And one will win fan favorite.) Candice Olson, Vern Yip and Genevieve Gorder will once again grace your TV screens as the tough and brutally honest judges. New to the cast this year are David Bromstad, as the design mentor, and Tanika Ray, as your lovely host.

HGTV-Design-Star-Cast-Season-6-HGTV-DesignHappens

Check out the cast bios and portfolios for a glimpse of what you can expect from the season 6 contestants. Who do you think should have an HGTV.com online show? Vote daily for your favorite design star through September 16.

Now, we want to know who’s your fave contestant and why? Sound off in the comments below.

1. Lourdes says:

Tanika Ray sounds like a game show announcer. I don't like her at all in HGTV'd and hate her on Design Star.=/ Please bring Clive back or let someone else host, TR is terrible!!

2. Lourdes says:

Exactly!!!

3. CareMe says:

Tanika Ray is awful…every time she opens her mouth, I have to hit the mute button. If she's back next season, I will be sure to pass on what used to be one of my favorite shows. Love David Bromstad though, he continues to be worth watching!

4. Matthew says:

Tanika Ray is the most off-putting host I've ever seen. How did she get this gig? She adds NOTHING to the proceedings; if they edited her out, the show would be so much better.

5. GailP says:

If Tanika Ray is still the host next season, I hope she reads all the comments and makes changes for the better. She is trying hard to be "perfect" and instead it is making her look like an over-the-top "phony". There are rare moments when she seems genuine and that's when she is lovely……. very rare moments but I know she has it in her to tone down her current hosting style. Maybe she couldn't see how she came off while taping, but the producers, directors and even the judges should have seen it and should have taken action right away to fix it. Everyone involved has a responsibility toward making their show a success. You don't want to turn off viewers.

6. OuchStopYelling says:

It's the…dramatic pauses…when nothing dramatic…is being said…that is CERTAINLY…the most…annoying thing…about TANIKA RAY. Very unnatural cadence and delivery to her speech that is tough to process.

7. Coda says:

Good call on who won. Can you get a different host? I felt like she was so plastic.

8. Sissy says:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD please get rid of Tanika. I screamed in agony every time she opened her mouth.

9. Lourdes says:

Tanika Ray sounds like a game show announcer. I don't like her at all in HGTV'd and hate her on Design Star. Please bring Clive back or let someone else host, TR is terrible!!

10. KATE says:

I AGREE, DIDN'T THINK SHE WAS RIGHT FOR THE JOB !