July is National Ice Cream Month (as if you needed another reason to hit the local parlor!), but my tragic allergy to all things dairy limits me to freezer-burnt popsicles or spoon-breakingly hard Italian ice. At least these Richard Taylor Ice Cream Cone planters allow me to indulge my sweet tooth for design.

ice cream cone planter

These Faux Bois — that’s French for false wood — beauties fool the eye, and would look wild with some baby succulents and cacti, as the good folks at Sprout Home suggest. Sadly, along with the milk allergy, I also have something of a black thumb, so I’m thinking of using one as a pencil holder on my new desk instead.

Say welcome to Briana, the newest member of the HGTV.com team!

Gardening

1. CplusE says:

Those little planters are adorable! I really appreciate the fact that they even have a drainage hole on the bottom, since I tend to overwater little pots like those, as well as rubber feet to protect surfaces. Sprout Home also sells these little cat creamers as planters:

Even though they don't have drainage, I am in love with their colors — these are exactly the shades I mentioned I would combine with lime green under Kim Stoegbauer's post about entertaining in the lime light! I don't think I could choose just one color — I want them all!

2. Anna@HGTV says:

Briana, what a wonderful delight for your debut post! I'm sure budding child gardeners would delight in these, too. (BTW, a diary allergy truly is tragic.)

3. Briana@HGTV says:

Thanks for the welcoming words, all!

@CplusE: I was also admiring those cat creamers! My house is a study in primary colors, and the yellow or orange would fit in perfectly. I love using unconventional containers for flower arrangements, too.

4. Stacy says:

These are so cute! You should change this column's name to "things to give your boyfriend's mom for her birthday" because that's totally what I'm going to do.

5. Maria says:

Delightful! I could see planting hardy succulents in these as a fun activity at a kids' birthday party – then they all have something other than toys and sugar to take home with them, too!

6. Briana@HGTV says:

@Stacy: Ha! Excellent birthday gift idea. Report back and let us know how it goes over!

@Maria: I love the kids' party idea! Especially good for making sure kids with allergies (like me) are included in the fun. :)