Hi everyone. Filming Home by Novogratz has been so much fun. Every episode we shoot allows us to meet new interesting people and work our vintage/modern, high/low, “no rules” design magic on their places. Instant makeovers can be stressful, but the energy and spirit of our fabulous crew and the reactions of psyched homeowners make it all worthwhile. It’s similar to how Robert and I are raising our seven kids — controlled chaos!

Cortney + Rob - Home by Novogratz – HGTV design blog
Here’s Robert and me with Deborah and Katherine Chen, two amazing sisters and our first clients. They bought an inexpensive house in rough shape in Far Rockaway, New York so they can enjoy weekends at the beach surfing. What do they want? A playful, girly beach pad. Their design inspiration? Betsey Johnson! Taking Deborah and Katherine’s cues, we knew exactly what to do. The staircase is the first thing you see when you enter their house.

striped stairs - Home by Novogratz – HGTV design blog

We chose to stripe the stairs for a real “wow” factor. (If you’re on a super-tight budget like us, with some colorful paint, you can tackle anything!) We measured the stripes for the stairs using painters tape and decided to go vertical. Three different shades of pink (their favorite color) with one pale blue one, and it looks amazing! The sisters love their new house , and I’m sure they have the most playful staircase in all of Rockaway.

Betsey Johnson - Ghost Girl - Home by Novogratz – HGTV design blog
If you haven’t seen the show, when you do, I think you’ll agree that Deborah and Katherine’s home is now light and airy with a cool beachy feel. It’s also packed with spunk and funky touches, like the kitchen renovation with a pink stove and baby blue vintage fridge and their new bedroom featuring Ghost Girl images put there by hand by world-famous graffiti artist Matt Siren.

Home by Novogratz Episode One

For next Saturday’s episode on July 23, we head down to the basement for a family playroom perfect for kids and adults. But first, here’s another picture of Deborah and Katherine’s pink surfer chic living room. What do you think? Love the stairs and the pillows? So Betsey.

Tell me in the comments below.

1. karen smith says:

I don't have a comment just wondering how I can get them to my house in Stamford, CT to do a maker over in my basement.

2. ogclan6 says:

Home by Novogratz is a joke of a design show. There is no design, there is only the disregard of the owners' personal taste and spontaneous shopping. Nothing is "designed", no preplanned layouts, no custom shelving/furniture. Spaces are not made to be livable. Vern Yip and Candice Olsen are stirring in their designer sheets at night at the thought of these two clowns having their own show. Last time I checked going shopping for 2 hours and throwing everything together in a space with some crazy colors is tacky, but that is just me. Please stop wasting my HGTV time.

3. Sharon says:

Why can't I view the video from this episode????? Where are pictures of the bedroom??? Show the bedroom pictures!!!

4. Mimi says:

You're so rude!!

5. oridroo says:

It was quite difficult for me to find out such information I found here.This is really appreciable.
    The logic implemented to establish the point of view of the author, is praise worthy. Though there
    is a little bit confusion with the second last paragraph of this article, I agreed with other points
    strongly.So, it'll be great if you can provide more useful information like this one.

farming-grants

6. Yvonne says:

I love there sytle, I miss their old show, was so happy to see HGTV pick them up. sbf

7. Marilyn Stith says:

This is by far the worst show ever on HGTV. These designs are disjointed, childish, unsophisticated and downright offensive. A child with a box of crayolas could do better. For these two to be called designers is insulting. Take a lesson from Sarah Richardson who is intelligent, innovative and always tasteful keeping good design basics always in mind. The Novogratz result is cacaphonous and jarring.
    Please spare us!

8. Denise says:

my favorite program, Wish it was an hour long and showed more family interaction like 9 By Design

9. Bill says:

we LOVE you. can't rest till we find the Gurrrl rug from the beach house. PLEASE where? it has become my job to find it and no on inks I will find it. Help me prove them wrong!

10. reetsarama says:

Gack, tonights episode was like a nasty thrift shop entered their apartment!