Hi everyone. Filming Home by Novogratz has been so much fun. Every episode we shoot allows us to meet new interesting people and work our vintage/modern, high/low, “no rules” design magic on their places. Instant makeovers can be stressful, but the energy and spirit of our fabulous crew and the reactions of psyched homeowners make it all worthwhile. It’s similar to how Robert and I are raising our seven kids — controlled chaos!

Cortney + Rob - Home by Novogratz – HGTV design blog
Here’s Robert and me with Deborah and Katherine Chen, two amazing sisters and our first clients. They bought an inexpensive house in rough shape in Far Rockaway, New York so they can enjoy weekends at the beach surfing. What do they want? A playful, girly beach pad. Their design inspiration? Betsey Johnson! Taking Deborah and Katherine’s cues, we knew exactly what to do. The staircase is the first thing you see when you enter their house.

striped stairs - Home by Novogratz – HGTV design blog

We chose to stripe the stairs for a real “wow” factor. (If you’re on a super-tight budget like us, with some colorful paint, you can tackle anything!) We measured the stripes for the stairs using painters tape and decided to go vertical. Three different shades of pink (their favorite color) with one pale blue one, and it looks amazing! The sisters love their new house , and I’m sure they have the most playful staircase in all of Rockaway.

Betsey Johnson - Ghost Girl - Home by Novogratz – HGTV design blog
If you haven’t seen the show, when you do, I think you’ll agree that Deborah and Katherine’s home is now light and airy with a cool beachy feel. It’s also packed with spunk and funky touches, like the kitchen renovation with a pink stove and baby blue vintage fridge and their new bedroom featuring Ghost Girl images put there by hand by world-famous graffiti artist Matt Siren.

Home by Novogratz Episode One

For next Saturday’s episode on July 23, we head down to the basement for a family playroom perfect for kids and adults. But first, here’s another picture of Deborah and Katherine’s pink surfer chic living room. What do you think? Love the stairs and the pillows? So Betsey.

Tell me in the comments below.

1. Oyan says:

For improving a home a lots of things are involved like kitchen remodeling,Bathroom remodeling, choosing best floor or whether it'll be of Wood or tile's and so on. For these purpose,here a lots of stuff to get the right direction to choose the best option. And I more liked the step by step approach for every details.

burleson carpet

2. cherrylipgloss says:

I just saw this episode. Hated what they did. The sofa looks super uncomfortable and the whole place is sensory overload. When I come home I need calm. God I couldn't even sleep in that bedroom. These two try too hard to be cool and hip. If you have to try, you aren't cool.

3. Kourtney says:

Are the stairs hardwood or do Cortney and bob paint over plywood?

• cherrylipgloss says:

I think this was the show that they redid the stairs….which was the only cute thing they did…..well, had it been for a toddlers home

4. Naam Nai says:

I just wish for to give you a note to verbalize my appreciation. I’ve been watching your site for few days plus have picked up a ton of good tips as well as enjoyed the way you’ve structured your web publication. I’m undertaking to create my own web site however I believe its very general along with I need to target further on certain subjects.

xbox 720 release date

5. summer says:

old postings but I have to agree with many. I just "discovered" these two today and wow. I am shocked at what passes for talent on HGTV these days. I am sure there are more worthy people who can fill these two's time slot.

6. Lisa says:

Did this beach house survive hurricane Sandy? I liked what they did design wise and no, it isn't what I would want personally. I thought it was whimsical and fun.

7. Jules says:

Hi! I've only started watching you guys recently, on your Home by Novogratz on Li channel. LOVE LOVE LOVE! I especially love your own fabulous home, and what you did for the sisters' in Rockaway Beach and the property staging for Frank Davi, I went mental over the black and white checkerboard floor and the glitter art! I live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, with 4 boys, my husband and our 3 sons, and they leave all the cleaning up and making-the-house-look-nice entirely up to me. It's not easy coz most of the time the house is just a pile of mess, but my boys are darlings and they always let me have what I love (in home deco). Bottomline is, I love the Novogratz style and I am truly inspired :)