Hi everyone. Filming Home by Novogratz has been so much fun. Every episode we shoot allows us to meet new interesting people and work our vintage/modern, high/low, “no rules” design magic on their places. Instant makeovers can be stressful, but the energy and spirit of our fabulous crew and the reactions of psyched homeowners make it all worthwhile. It’s similar to how Robert and I are raising our seven kids — controlled chaos!

Cortney + Rob - Home by Novogratz – HGTV design blog
Here’s Robert and me with Deborah and Katherine Chen, two amazing sisters and our first clients. They bought an inexpensive house in rough shape in Far Rockaway, New York so they can enjoy weekends at the beach surfing. What do they want? A playful, girly beach pad. Their design inspiration? Betsey Johnson! Taking Deborah and Katherine’s cues, we knew exactly what to do. The staircase is the first thing you see when you enter their house.

striped stairs - Home by Novogratz – HGTV design blog

We chose to stripe the stairs for a real “wow” factor. (If you’re on a super-tight budget like us, with some colorful paint, you can tackle anything!) We measured the stripes for the stairs using painters tape and decided to go vertical. Three different shades of pink (their favorite color) with one pale blue one, and it looks amazing! The sisters love their new house , and I’m sure they have the most playful staircase in all of Rockaway.

Betsey Johnson - Ghost Girl - Home by Novogratz – HGTV design blog
If you haven’t seen the show, when you do, I think you’ll agree that Deborah and Katherine’s home is now light and airy with a cool beachy feel. It’s also packed with spunk and funky touches, like the kitchen renovation with a pink stove and baby blue vintage fridge and their new bedroom featuring Ghost Girl images put there by hand by world-famous graffiti artist Matt Siren.

Home by Novogratz Episode One

For next Saturday’s episode on July 23, we head down to the basement for a family playroom perfect for kids and adults. But first, here’s another picture of Deborah and Katherine’s pink surfer chic living room. What do you think? Love the stairs and the pillows? So Betsey.

Tell me in the comments below.

1. Julie says:

Why is it so hard to find where to get those Kitchen Appliances? I'm sure you got a deal so people would buy them.

2. Louise says:

What happened to my comment?

• HGTV_Kelley says:

Hey Louise – try reposting – sometimes the comments software doesn't record a comment properly. :)

3. HGTV_Kelley says:

Hey gang – here's the list of the products used in the show that we have so far: http://marketplace.hgtv.com/novogratz_keyword I'll work on getting the intel on the pink rug and the yummy stove. (I love it, too, and need a new stove. Wonder what my landlord would think about pink?)

4. qwen phillips says:

I hated your new show. I thought your original show 9 by design on Bravo was better. I enjoyed watching your job colliding with your family.

This episode was a piece of crap. I agree with the review there was too much time spent on the bedroom. I don't think the graffiti piece represented surfer chic. I think if you took the time to think of something on your own you could have come up with something better than Matt Siren artwork. PS. his work for the show sucks and his segment was a waste of time. I also wished you spent more time with Betsy or Betty Johnson. She could have explained her bohemian style and why she really likes the color pink. If you going to feature famous people style, allow them to explain it or explain it yourself.

As for the rest of the house, you featured too much of nothing for a lot of money. I was not impressed with pink stove or the wallpaper. I felt you waste all money having others decorate the house. I rather you take a picture of $300 or $3000 frame art and made yourself. You could have saved money and spent money somewhere else. Otherwise, I like the Novogratz.

5. LEW says:

Please post sources for pillows, wallpaper and coffee table. Stove is by BlueStar, fridge by SMEG.

6. Jamie says:

I found the show interesting and pieces of it nice but like some of the other people commenting I did not like the bedroom – the pink floor was great and I didn't mind the art up until he applied the pink drippy paint and when i could see that the paper was all wrinkled. I would have been ripping that down 2 seconds after you started down the stairs (before you even left the house). I would much rather have spent the money on some more furniture downstairs. It was pretty sparse and the dining area was uninspiring. I am hoping for more on the next episode.

7. greylady46 says:

Bigfreeze has a lot of retro kitchen appliances….lots of different colors. I looked it up on the web. I use Bing as my search engine….it works great…so if Bigfreeze is the wrong thing, you can still find lots of other appliances thru Bing (or Google) whatever. Good luck.

8. Hmpj says:

Love the coffee table – please post source (previous hgtv references are for a different episode…..)

9. Jordan says:

Who was the artist that did the Surfing collage? I loved it!

10. T.N.V. says:

Enjoyed the show! Does anyone know the name of/ or where I can find the pink wallpaper in the living room?