Hi everyone. Filming Home by Novogratz has been so much fun. Every episode we shoot allows us to meet new interesting people and work our vintage/modern, high/low, “no rules” design magic on their places. Instant makeovers can be stressful, but the energy and spirit of our fabulous crew and the reactions of psyched homeowners make it all worthwhile. It’s similar to how Robert and I are raising our seven kids — controlled chaos!

Cortney + Rob - Home by Novogratz – HGTV design blog
Here’s Robert and me with Deborah and Katherine Chen, two amazing sisters and our first clients. They bought an inexpensive house in rough shape in Far Rockaway, New York so they can enjoy weekends at the beach surfing. What do they want? A playful, girly beach pad. Their design inspiration? Betsey Johnson! Taking Deborah and Katherine’s cues, we knew exactly what to do. The staircase is the first thing you see when you enter their house.

striped stairs - Home by Novogratz – HGTV design blog

We chose to stripe the stairs for a real “wow” factor. (If you’re on a super-tight budget like us, with some colorful paint, you can tackle anything!) We measured the stripes for the stairs using painters tape and decided to go vertical. Three different shades of pink (their favorite color) with one pale blue one, and it looks amazing! The sisters love their new house , and I’m sure they have the most playful staircase in all of Rockaway.

Betsey Johnson - Ghost Girl - Home by Novogratz – HGTV design blog
If you haven’t seen the show, when you do, I think you’ll agree that Deborah and Katherine’s home is now light and airy with a cool beachy feel. It’s also packed with spunk and funky touches, like the kitchen renovation with a pink stove and baby blue vintage fridge and their new bedroom featuring Ghost Girl images put there by hand by world-famous graffiti artist Matt Siren.

Home by Novogratz Episode One

For next Saturday’s episode on July 23, we head down to the basement for a family playroom perfect for kids and adults. But first, here’s another picture of Deborah and Katherine’s pink surfer chic living room. What do you think? Love the stairs and the pillows? So Betsey.

Tell me in the comments below.

1. Amy says:

I love the white balloon chairs in the Jersey beach condo dining room. Where can I get them??

2. spy stuff says:

The aim to make the readers understood was nicely successful.It's aspect was very detail.

Now the whole matter became crystal clear. Also the effort of the writer is praise worthy.

His point of view is just perfect.The key point is he illustrated the subject effectively.

<a>spy stuff

3. Who makes that metallic pink wallpaper in the Chen sisters' living room?
    I love it and would like to get it!

4. Renay says:

I love their designs! Absolutely Fabulous!!!

5. gwy says:

What is the brand name and type of roman shades you used, so you could see out, but others could not see in???

6. jeyegno says:

I love this show! Thank you so much, HGTV, for finally airing a show I want to watch! As much as your network, I find many designs are tired and repetative. It's the same granite counter tops and the same stainless steel appliances and the same safe middle-of-the-road contemporary look. Meanwhile, the Novogratz designs are like a breath of fresh air; it's chic and creative.

Folks, the world of the interior design is as varied as there are people in this world. If you don't like the Novogratz sensibility, there happens to be lots of other shows for you to watch. It is so rare to see programming devoted to a cutting edge aesthetic. I am looking forward to watching more episodes.

7. tootsweet47 says:

These two are the absolute WORST DESIGNERS ON THE PLANET! Everything they do looks HORRIBLE!
    Cancel them hgtv! Lets see more of Bromstad, Olsen, Yip and Gidding!

8. Kat says:

Im not sure, But you can try something like Peir 1 Imports or maybe just a craftstore like Micheals

9. ladykd13 says:

The show is entertaining, but I wish Cortney would quit saying "sick" all the time. "This is really gonna be sick", etc. She isn't a teenager and the program isn't geared for teens. It is irritating!

10. POCeDop says:

I love the incredible eye that each of the Novogratz's possess for fun, eclectic and interesting decor and spaces. The show on Bravo really allowed them to be who they are much more than this new sanitized version of their lives. They are clearly talented and extremely nice people with an interesting aesthetic and a fun family. I appreciate that HGTV is likely paying them a lot for this show – and that may be at least one part of why they are apparently able to stay in their latest home in Manhattan (a stunner we got to watch on their Bravo show!). I hope they are able to pick up enough personal business from this series to be able to blow it off after a season and go back to living their regular life.