If you’ve been following the blog, you know we’re all big bibliophiles. (Being editors, it kinda comes with the territory.) So, naturally, we swoon over majestic bookshelves or clever uses for old hardbacks. At the risk of repeating ourselves, how cool is this stacked book desk we spotted on Design*Sponge the other day?

The post, which features stylish shots of a Brooklyn couple’s loft, gave this image the caption: “Daniel’s desk is an object of wonder that he created using old books (and a clever optical illusion).” We were already hooked by the look, but the added idea of an optical illusion mystery intrigued us. If the desktop is not actually balancing on the towers of tomes, how is it constructed? Are the books just placed carefully in front of the actual desk legs? Could the legs have thin shelves build into them, like the “invisible bookshelf” towers I have in my apartment do? (When filled to capacity, the shelves disappear between the books, so it looks like I have a massive game of Jenga on my hands if I want to read.) How do YOU think it works?

If you guessed that the desk owner drilled through the books and “shish-kabobed” them on wooden desk legs — or simply scrolled down the Design*Sponge post to the comments section where he explains that process, as I did — give yourself a gold star! Want extra credit? Try that same technique to make a lamp, as Dan Faires did in his DanMade upcycling how-to.

Design Inspiration

1. greylady46 says:

I am a book lover, this idea makes me so sad, sorry, everytime I see a book I want to read it….this design would be frustrating for me to live with.

2. Briana@HGTV says:

@greylady46: Aw, didn't mean to make you sad! I'm a book lover, too. If it makes you feel any better, the owner explains in the comments that he bought some old, used, $1 books from a big bookstore in Manhattan, so they weren't part of his personal collection. (And the titles, as he puts it, "are not ones anyone will ever miss [...] like The 1987 Guide to Michelin Tires or Frodors Switzerland 1980.") I think it's a clever way to give orphans like that a good home.

3. Mickey says:

It really looks like it bows in the middle!

4. erica jarrell says:

The desk does bow in the middle–dangerous! It's a great idea for a craft table or something like that but the electronics are entirely too heavy.

5. AlbortAzmi says:

Hi, I agree with you. Really this blog is very informative.
    Design Desk

6. Susie says:

A great desktop would be an old painted door – that wouldn't sag, either!